• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4runner roof rack clean/restore.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4runner roof rack clean/restore.

I have taken off the roof rack from my '96 4runner. I stripped the torx slot on the last screw and am grinding off the head to remove the last side channel. I am going to get new screws all around. My question is how to restore/clean the rack pieces before putting them back when I am done detailing the suv roof. Dressing will only last so long. It is black painted steel (now dull black)with some plastic end caps, plastic spinner nut knobs, and rubber long gaskets under the rails. Clean and silicone spray the rubber gaskets? Would spray touchup paint on the metal be a better choice?

Re: 4runner roof rack clean/restore.

I think painting the metal would be your best bet. My truck's grill is flat black, and when I first bought it (it's a 1999 and I bought it a year and a half ago) it was looking pretty bad. It was really faded and the paint had worn off in some spots. I tried using dressings on it (Ranch, French, and blue cheese...jk) but they didn't last long. I carefully taped it off and painted it with some high-quality flat black spray paint and it worked great. I'm pretty sure I will need to do it again after a while though, so it's also somewhat of a temporary fix, although much less temporary than dressing.
    Last edited by Lydia; Nov 26, 2006, 09:21 PM.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Re: 4runner roof rack clean/restore.

Those peices are a type of powder coat. When they are faded you will have to re-finish them or buy new.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');