• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying #7 for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying #7 for the first time

I need some help. I'll be applying #7 for the first time on my black car using a DA polisher. Some questions I need answered are:

1. How much polish do I apply per application (example: 1/4 of the hood of the car?)
    2. Do I need to work a small section at a time?
    3. Do I need to let the polish break down before wiping it off?
    4. Do I apply any pressure to the head of the polisher? If so, how much?
    5. Do I make slow passes just like when I apply #80?

Any help and other advice other than the ones mentioned above would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Applying #7 for the first time

jremitio, when working with the #7 Show Car Glaze you probably don't want to work in a section any larger than 1/4 of the hood. I usually work in a 2 foot section, apply the product in thin-even coats, and remove it before it fully dries. Remember a little bit of product goes a long way. You would work with it in a very similar fashion to #80. You can apply light to moderate pressure when working with the D.A. (and a foam polishing pad), but I probably wouldn't get down into it too hard. Afterwards, follow up with a good wax/sealant and you should be good to go. Hope that's helpful...
    Rick McDonough
    Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
    Meguiar's Inc.
    1.800.854.8073 * 3853
    rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by jremitio View Post
      I need some help. I'll be applying #7 for the first time on my black car using a DA polisher. Some questions I need answered are:

#7 Show Car Glaze a pure polish and should only be applied to a finish in excellent condition, so just to make sure, you're black paint, (actually a layer of clear paint over black paint), is in perfect condition?

That is it's either new, or you've already clayed it and cleaned it so that it's like brand new?

Just want to make sure you're applying this product onto a finish that's correct for a pure polish.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rick. I just applied #80 and NXT to the car about 3 wks ago but I'm itching to try #7 to see how it looks. Do I need to strip the wax first then apply #7? If I do, what's the best way to strip wax off a car? Thanks.

Comment

You can apply #7 right over the top of the NXT (loks pretty good too).....it just won't last very long as it's not a sealant/wax. I found that if I apply it to one small section, then give it a light wipe off, by the time I'm finished applying it to another section the first section is ready for the final wipe down.
          (hope that makes sense)

Mort (who used it to polish wood cabinets in the house last weekend with stunning results too)

Comment

Originally posted by jremitio View Post
            Do I need to strip the wax first then apply #7? If I do, what's the best way to strip wax off a car? Thanks.
            A coating of any wax on the surface of your car is measured in microns, in other words, it's pretty thin.

Think about the "Action" taking place with a foam pad on a dual action polisher as it's working against the paint, now add a creamy liquid polish and when you combine the texture of the foam, the creamy liquid, the oscillation action of the polisher and time and pressure, put all these together and it's pretty safe to assume most of the wax is going to be removed.

It's not that #7 has any cleaning ability because it doesn't, it a pure polish and in Meguiar's terms it's non-abrasive, but it's the sum of all the things you're doing that's going to create a cleaning action.

In a perfect world, you would be applying a pure polish to a paint without wax and if you want to apply a pure polish to a fresh or clean base, then simply re-polish the car with the M80 and this will completely remove any wax off the surface.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the help, fellows.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');