• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirls/Cobwebs after applying #7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirls/Cobwebs after applying #7

I need help. I successfully removed swirls/cobwebs on my 4 month old, black Lexus 3 weeks ago. Last weekend, I applied #7 to the hood using a DA polisher with a new Megs 9006 pad on #3 setting. I noticed the swirls/cobwebs are back. So, I applied #80 again to remove the swirls and was once again successful.

What am I doing wrong when I apply #7? I believe I'm applying it correctly. I do slow passes with about 10 pounds of pressure and I let the polish break down. The finish looks absolutely gorgeous after #7 application but a closer inspection reveals swirls/cobwebs.

Thanks.

Re: Swirls/Cobwebs after applying #7

If you've removed the swirls, then applying #7 shouldn't reveal them or instill them... troubleshoot by cleaning with the M80 and then hand applying and removing #7, the inspect.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I will apply #7 by hand. What could have I done wrong applying #7 with a DA? Could it be that I used too much product? If I'm working on 1/4 of my hood, how much product do I use? The size of a quarter dollar?

I also noticed that applying #7 with a DA causes too much powder even with just my first or second pass and I just run the pad over the powder. Could the pad's rotating action on the powder cause the swirls? Should I be removing the powder first?

As much as possible, I would like to continue using the DA as obviously it's faster.

Comment

Originally posted by jremitio View Post
        Thanks, Mike. I will apply #7 by hand. What could have I done wrong applying #7 with a DA? Could it be that I used too much product? If I'm working on 1/4 of my hood, how much product do I use? The size of a quarter dollar?
        What speed setting are you using?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Speed set at 3. Slow motion just like when I apply #80 and about 10 lbs of pressure.

Comment

For removing swirls you should be at the 5.0 setting, the problem is you're likely not removing the swirls do to the low speed but masking them. Why they would show up when you apply #7 at the #3 setting is still a mystery.

Try re-cleaning a section about one foot square with the M80 on the 5.0 setting, wipe off the residue and inspect. Then apply some #7 using the 3-4 setting, wipe off residue and inspect. See what your getting following this process.

Unless your paint is soft and the swirls are shallow, the 3 setting on the PC is too slow to remove enough paint to remove the swirls.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I already have removed the swirls on the hood using #80 last week with speed set at 5. This was after application of #7 that instilled the swirls. I will apply #7 again on a test area using the DA with 9006, speed set at 3 and I'll see what happens. I'll write back with my observations.

Back to my other questions. As #7 produces a lot of dust even during my first pass, do I just run over the dust with the pad or do I remove the dust first? Is applying 10 lbs of pressure adequate? Do I do slow passes just like when I apply #80 or a little faster just like when I apply wax?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

We don't get this?

#7 is the furthest thing from a dusting product? Are you using a dedicated pad? As in no other chemical has been used on the pad?

Also, when applying a pure polish or a pure wax by machine, the goal is to spread the product out evenly and thoroughly over the surface, not to remove defects, thus you only need a little more pressure than the weight of the tool. The weight of the tool reads around 5 pounds on the surface, so you don't need to push down too much harder than a few pounds of pressure for applying a pure polish.

Sure wish we could be there in person to see exactly what's going on.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I used a brand new 9006. Oh well, I'll try again and see what happens. Hopefully, I'll be successful this time.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Wish me luck...lots of it.

Comment

Never seen #7 produce dust. I would have thought it impossible for #7 to dust due to dust implies dry but #7 doesn't dry so there is no dust.

Without wishing to be rude can I ask if it's actually #7 you are using, I only ask as you may have written #7 but mean and have actually used something else, I hope that makes sense..........by the way I did exactly that myself, I wrote the wrong number to start with and ran with it until EVENTUALLY I noticed my mistake LOL.

Bryan

Comment

I'm absolutely sure it's #7 (Professional Show Car Glaze). At least that's what the bottle says.

Comment

As has been said, it's hard to believe that #7 could dust....it's pretty darn oily in my limited experience. Perhaps the #80 wasn't sufficiently removed before you went to the #7 and you're creating swirls by overworking its residue....just a WAG.

Mort

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                          We don't get this?

#7 is the furthest thing from a dusting product? Are you using a dedicated pad? As in no other chemical has been used on the pad?

Also, when applying a pure polish or a pure wax by machine, the goal is to spread the product out evenly and thoroughly over the surface, not to remove defects, thus you only need a little more pressure than the weight of the tool. The weight of the tool reads around 5 pounds on the surface, so you don't need to push down too much harder than a few pounds of pressure for applying a pure polish.

Sure wish we could be there in person to see exactly what's going on.

I am leaning toward your thoughts here Mike. He stated he was trying to "break down" the #7. I think he might be overworking the product, possibly to the point of it glazing on the outer edges of the pad and drying up around that area. I did similar at with my first few attempts with #7 and the PC. I don't think I caused myself any swirl but I caught the problem quick and corrected my efforts.

jremitio
                          The next time you try the #7. If you notice any excess buildup around the outer, say 1/2" to 1", of the pad and it the buildup turns shiney, then you are likely using too much product and quite possibly overworking it. If so, definetly heed Mike's advice above. Stop and clean the pad and keep trying it until you can polish 1-2 panels without any buildup around the edge of the pad. When I use #7, I always have the goal of trying to use the least amount possible to get the job done. I find this makes applying #7 amost trouble free. I can generally do up an entire vehicle now without cleaning my pad simply because I use a very small amount of product and don't get carried away overworking it.
                          Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Jeff..What you described is exactly what was happening. I find powder being thrown around by the polisher every time I go through curves on the car's panels where the pad is not completely flat against the surface. I may be using too much product. I'll try just a tad next time. What do you think? A quarter dollar size product for 1/4 of my hood? Thanks.

Comment

The goal of applying a pure polish is to coat over and work in the product, this can be done with 2-3 passes when using a dual action polisher and then you move onto new territory.

You don't want to underuse product, you dont' want to overuse product, you want to use enough to coat over and work in and leave a thin, wet film on the surface.
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');