• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help required - Exterior Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required - Exterior Trim

Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of a problem doing the exterior trim on my car.
    I am using Gold Class Trim Detailer, I find it very difficult to apply as it seems to be streaky. Am I meant to apply it liberally or sparingly?
    I have tried using a foam head from a shoe polish bottle but it doesn't work very well, I have tried using a foam paint brush but its a bit too wide and also doesn't work too well.
    I ended up just using an old piece of terry towel and my finger.

I have a fair bit of trim to do and I find it hard to get into it properly and always seem to get it on the paintwork.
    No Mater what or how I try I just can't seem to get it looking good.
    Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Re: Help required - Exterior Trim

Bump... anybody?

Comment

Go to Autobarn, supercheap or a repco store and they will order you in some APPAD or foam application pads. They are great to use to apply your waxs, polishes ect as well as trim detail on larger areas and the old figured terry towel for the smaller places.

I apply a literal amount and rub in, them turn to a clean section of towel and give it a good wipe over.

Trev

Comment

I'm sure everyone is different. I apply a fairly decent amount (not sparingly...but it is also not "dripping" off the car before I wipe it), then I work it into the plastic trim with either a MF or Meg's yellow foam sponges, then I wipe a clean MF over it for any excess. Some people have said they wait for 10 minutes or so before wiping off the excess......I just do it right after I've worked it in. Never had any problems with streaking. Are you shaking it up first? I dunno.......

Comment

Originally posted by MotorcycleDetailing View Post
          Go to Autobarn, supercheap or a repco store and they will order you in some APPAD Trev
          What is APPAD? I have the Meg's foam pads.

Originally posted by gollums_friend View Post
          I'm sure everyone is different.
          Yes we are Hopefully others will post with their techniques and I can get an idea of how to do it the right way. Also I am giving the bottle a really good shake before hand.

I have tried using a TT to apply it, not too much but enough to leave a mild milky coating, then I have used another TT to wipe it in and then turn it to buff it a little. But it seems to streak, I thought it needed a second coat but it still seemed streaky as though it hadn't absorbed the product.

Another thing, do you find it marks easily? As I find that fingerprints show up really easy around the door trim, even after a good buff with a TT.

Thank you both for your replies

Graeme

Comment

Hi Tech Applicator Pad

Meguiar

Comment

I have those

Comment

Well most of my reply didn't show up....hmmmmm. Now to try and remember what I wrote again.

APPAD is the part or order number/code that you use to order the Hi Tech Applicator Pad from Meguiars Australia, Repco, AutoBarn or Supercheap.

With the marking..it is only noticeable because it is clean, the same as finger prints on your clean paintwork. But after I have wiped the trim over with the clean section of the towel it is almost dry to touch so its not that noticeable.

With the second coat, it depends on the trim as if it is faded or neglected then you will need at least a couple of coats and can take awhile to bring it back to near new condition, then again I always apply 2 coats of Trim Detailer just like I apply 2 coats of wax to painted and metal surfaces.

Well thats some of what I can remember, hope it helps alittle.

Trev

If in doubt, ask. Someone will answer eventually. But with the time difference it can take awhile.

Comment

Thanks again Trev for the reply and help

As you can see from the pics its not faded, the car is approx 5 weeks old.
                  The marking is after I have applied the trim detailer and buffed it with a TT.
                  We went out after I had done the car, when we returned home I noticed there were very noticeable fingerprints on the black trim ( see second pic) where we had put our hands to close the door.
                  The rubber strips on the roof (see third pic) are streaky, I have done these twice with a liberal amount and then buffed dry.

It might be me just being extremely fussy? I don't know what it should look like after it has been applied properly.
                  I will try to get a close up of the trim to show what I mean.

Graeme

Comment

If the cars 5 weeks old I would expect the trim to look blacker....hmm. The other thing you can try is the All Seasons Dressing or Hyper Dressing on your trim if the trim detailer is working the way you want it to.

I think all you need to do is mix it to the right ratio, spray onto a terry towel cloth and wipe in and it will dry and clean as you wipe and you should notice a difference. So far I haven't tried them but I will be as soon as my APC (All purpose cleaner) runs out.

Trev

Comment

Hyper Dressing is really pricey, $93.00 rr So no doubt it will be more like $100 to $105 through the shops.
                      I will have to save for awhile

Graeme

Comment

Tell me about it, thats why I am using my APC up first...so hopefully I will have enough saved by then. Hopefully one day.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');