• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Oxidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Oxidation

I just bought a 93 525i. The exterior was not protected. What I have is paint oxidation. The fine scratches and semi fading. What is the best way to restore this rough diamond?

Re: Paint Oxidation

Originally posted by bmotorworksw View Post
    I just bought a 93 525i. The exterior was not protected. What I have is paint oxidation. The fine scratches and semi fading. What is the best way to restore this rough diamond?
    Welcome to MOL! One question, are you going to be working by hand?
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I can but also have a buffer.

Comment

I can do by hand. Also have buffer

Comment

You have a buffer... rotary, PC or orbital?

If you have a PC, perfect it can do the job. If you have a rotary it too can do the job but it must be used in experienced hands. If you have an orbital, it may not have the power and speed to remove defects like oxidation. Here is a thread you might look over: Rotary vs PC vs Regular Orbital Buffer

Something you might try would be ColorX , its a cleaner wax you can use by hand or PC. Many have used it and had great results, here is a link to a 1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover that might be helpful.

Yet more reading: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

The best bet would be to pay around $200 and have a real detailer (not a hack) fix the finish for you. Its a small price to pay if you don't intend to get into detailing as a hobby. To properly fix the paint you will need a Porter Cable RO polisher or a rotary polisher. Either one with pads can set you back $200.

Working by hand, you may get decent results, but nothing close to how the car left the factory.

ColorX is a great product to try if you insist on doing it by hand.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');