• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The perennial question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perennial question

I know this has been asked before but ... Is there any merit to topping one wax with another; as in, Gold on top of NXT? I would think one would clean the other off. I know that a second coat of wax will catch any missed spots and I have always done so the next day but I'm just wondering if a coat of Gold will negate the coat of NXT. I have a silver car with metal flake from the factory. It loves the NXT. I wanted to top it with Carnuba to see if it would shine more. (I have always used natural waxex but I like the science that supports the synthetics).

I am going to put a coat of Gold on top tomorrow so I suppose I'll answer my own question in that I will be able to 'see' the result of that effort but the question still persists: Does that coat of Gold contain suffients cleaners to take off the NXT such that it was a waste to put on the NXT. I think Mike weighed in on this so I guess I will do a search to find what he said but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for any input on this. I sure like that NXT, and I'm eyeing that tin of Gold too. My instinct tells me the carnuba on top of the NXT should be a good match.
    2007 Toyota Yaris
    2001 Volvo S60 T5
    1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Re: The perennial question

As far as being able to 'see' a difference, some folks say they can, some cant.

Meguiar's recommends 2 coats, but that is more for even coating than for getting 2 layers thick or changing looks.

Do one panel, or half a hood with one combo, and next to it do the other, and see.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I see Mike did weigh in on this in a previous post below mine. There is no official position on layering; and, I should have said "if I could 'see' a difference."... point well taken,
      Last edited by keesue; Dec 23, 2006, 07:43 PM. Reason: additional comment
      2007 Toyota Yaris
      2001 Volvo S60 T5
      1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

I put that coat of GC paste on top of the NXT I did yesterday. The NXT appeared to have hardened. I took the advice and did half of the hood to have a look. Up close, the shine was a bit better. Step back however, and I about fell out! The difference was not subtle. The depth of the shine was demonstrable. The GC shine was nothing short of amazing. The efficacy of layering was resloved for me, at least with NXT and GC. The NXT shine was solid - having an 'industrial' look - strong. The GC is simply spectacular - eye dazzling - the feel is slick and the look is wet. (I'm going to have to get my camera issues straightened out to take pictures). Frankly, I am stunned. The wax went on top of the NXT with ease. No hard rubbing, just a good smooth coat with the included foam applicator. I took the wax off with a Megauiar's MF and after the wax was off I then went old school with cheese cloth to get a 'feel' for the finish. Slick is the operative word here. Standing back, the car looks wet, like a pool of water, that quality silver seems to impart when done right.

In conclusion, it appears the NXT provided a solid hard base for the softer carnuba wax which was my hope. Wow....
        2007 Toyota Yaris
        2001 Volvo S60 T5
        1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

I would try #26 as it has zero cleaners in it.

Comment

Thank you. I will indeed.
            2007 Toyota Yaris
            2001 Volvo S60 T5
            1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

#26 and #16 are great toppers and both seem to work well with the spit-shine method. I like #16 on lighter metallics and #26 on darker colors.

Comment

Thank you for this. I'll check them out. I'll place an order next week. I'm so knocked out by these results it can only get better with the professional line. Thanks again!
                2007 Toyota Yaris
                2001 Volvo S60 T5
                1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by keesue View Post
                  Thank you for this. I'll check them out. I'll place an order next week. I'm so knocked out by these results it can only get better with the professional line. Thanks again!
                  I looked on the Meguiar's web store and there doesn't appear to be these products - unless I'm just missing them. I'll give them a call next week.
                  2007 Toyota Yaris
                  2001 Volvo S60 T5
                  1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by keesue View Post
                    I looked on the Meguiar's web store and there doesn't appear to be these products - unless I'm just missing them. I'll give them a call next week.
                    Duh...I found them. It would help if I looked. Holiday cheer....heh...Thanks again for the recommendations! I'm very excited about using them.
                    2007 Toyota Yaris
                    2001 Volvo S60 T5
                    1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-liquid-...ech-Yellow-Wax (liquid)
                      http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-paste-c...llow-Wax-Paste (paste)

I dont know what this is nor do I see this anywhere.
                      2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
                      2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
                      1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

#16 isn't on the website because it was discontinued a while back.

It comes in a shine blue tin and inside of the can is a blue paste, about the same colour of PlastX.
                        Patrick Yu
                        2003 Honda Accord
                        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Thanks, guys. I will order these. As to #16, I did a search and it appears to be available in Canada; however, I'll just use the yellow paste and the #26 liquid. These have no cleaners and should be outstanding.
                          2007 Toyota Yaris
                          2001 Volvo S60 T5
                          1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');