• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Q's about detailing F250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Q's about detailing F250

Had a guy call today wanting his 2002 F-250 Crew Cab detailed.

Since I've never detailed a diesel engine before, I thought I'd ask about it. Anything in particular to look out for or is it just like any other engine - Super Degreaser/Hyper Dressing.

Also, he said something about the interior vinyl door panel looks like bleach or something was spilled on it to stain/remove the color in spots. I told him there's probably nothing that can be done, but I'd research it. Can any type of dye be used? Or does he buy a new door panel if he can't live with it?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jonathan

Re: 2 Q's about detailing F250

Originally posted by audioguy99 View Post
    Had a guy call today wanting his 2002 F-250 Crew Cab detailed.

Since I've never detailed a diesel engine before, I thought I'd ask about it. Anything in particular to look out for or is it just like any other engine - Super Degreaser/Hyper Dressing.
    Those two products and a little passion behind any brushes you use

Originally posted by audioguy99 View Post
    Also, he said something about the interior vinyl door panel looks like bleach or something was spilled on it to stain/remove the color in spots. I told him there's probably nothing that can be done, but I'd research it. Can any type of dye be used? Or does he buy a new door panel if he can't live with it?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jonathan
    There are some dying options on the market, off-hand, we have no experience with them so you'll need to research them first.

The big picture when it comes to this detail job is to look at the bleached area and if it truly is bleached white, simply tell the owner that their may be a way to make it look better, but that would be another day, and another charge as it's an art unto itself.

Tell him what your charge is for detailing the truck as in your normal detail services, then if the customer wants the door panel fixed, you'd be happy to look into it on another day, another charge.

Chances are good the owner will have you do the normal detail job, and he won't be let down if the door panel isn't fixed because you are not going to give him those expectations.

It's only honest to break-up the work into components because you could spend an entire day on that door panel and still not get it right and you're customer will be disappointed.

The truth is, this kind of work is hard and filled with risk. It's enough work just to detail a F250 Crew Cab let alone to stop everything you're doing and focus on a door panel.

Another day, another charge.

If it's really that important to your customer, they'll say okay and you can set a date and a charge to tackle just the door panel.

Chances are very good, they'll tell you to forget about it because once they find out they're going to pay for just the work done on this small area that they probably understand is a hard repair to make, let alone make look good, they are not going to want to spend their money on it.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: 2 Q's about detailing F250

Thanks for the wisdom Mike.

I already told him that I would look at it and then have to research it for another time. Since I used to install car audio systems, removing that door panel and replacing it would be quick work. I don't know that he'll want to spend the money on a new door panel if that's what's needed though.

I'll begin looking at some dye/repair options so I'll have an idea about that too.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');