• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went shopping today...first ever detail to follow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went shopping today...first ever detail to follow

Well I went shopping today and here is the list...

Meguiars Gold Class Car Shampoo
    Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    Meguiars ColorX
    Meguiars NXT Paste Wax
    Meguiars High Tech Applicator Pads

I will be using a two-buckets system and have a sheepskin chamois and an unlimited supply of microfiber.

I am going to tape off the trim on the car, not going to bother with the wheels. What I am wondering is, where are the places that I can actually mess something up? How many passes should I make with each item? And any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks guys...hoping to have a shiny black car sooner than later

Re: Went shopping today...first ever detail to follow

Sounds like you have a good start on your collection of products. What are you going to be working on? By hand or PC?
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Watch getting wax in the windscreen.. You can't get this **** of really in good way..
      But you could do the trim with a trim protection.. Then if you get wax on it, it woun't get white and you can just wipe of the wax from it with no problems and no stains..
      But if you don't bother to use tape everytime you detail you don't have to, but if you detail more often it's really much much more easy this way..
      I don't know if you car have scratches and swirlls but Scratch X would take care of this if you have any.. Often they come from automatic car washes..
      Else you can get paint cleaner to sparken up your color and make it more powerfull.. But it's only if your cars paint have faded a little..
      But again ColorX have this to some extend but don't know how much..

Else good luck and sounds like a good start! We love to see the wonder results on black cars..
      You can see some resluts in Show off.
      You can really get a nice result!

Comment

I have never had any issues with any Meguiar's product on trim or even the windshield (glass). A little QD with a terry removes any wax on the trim anyhow. Of course, don't be sloppy, but you don't have to be perfect.

Also, what is your method of application? Hand, PC, RB?
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
        2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by WestDK View Post
          Watch getting wax in the windscreen.. You can't get this **** of really in good way.
          They say that one of the first steps to knowledge is admitting when you don't know something. Why is wax/sealant a bad thing on any of your glass surfaces?
          ---
          Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Comment

Hey, it will all be by hand... The car definitely has some swirls so should I switch to ScratchX or is the ColorX fine. I had the choice but I chose this one. Thanks for all ur responses.

Comment

Originally posted by cv_soccer View Post
              They say that one of the first steps to knowledge is admitting when you don't know something. Why is wax/sealant a bad thing on any of your glass surfaces?

You know when your car is just waxed.. THe next day it might rains and when you get out to your car theres lots of little raindrops on it (not a big puddle) and the same happens on you class surface.. This is not the problem because when driving the air resistance will remove the wax layer like the water runs of from your paint when waxed..
              The problem is the wax can in some cases give a little mat surface to look out from.. Like a frontlight when 10 years old.. It's almost grey..
              Not often but some times.. And another thing..
              When you use your wipers to get the rain of your windshield they pick up the wax and smear it out on your windows instad..
              I really don't know why but also where your wipers dont vipe your glass will pick up much much more dirt than usual and the rain will not remove it.. Dont ask me why, because normally this should be washed of (with or without wash) you should seem but it's not the case..
              Really annoying..

Comment

Originally posted by wkbrdr03 View Post
                Hey, it will all be by hand... The car definitely has some swirls so should I switch to ScratchX or is the ColorX fine. I had the choice but I chose this one. Thanks for all ur responses.
                ColorX is for very fine small scratches but mostly for cleaning the paint to make it more powerfull, and sharp and it also gives the car a wax at the same time..
                And scratch X is to remove those scratches more than restoring and cleaning the color and paint..
                But remember if you have a clearcoat on.. Keeping this in tip top shape without scratches and in best condition will make your color in your car seems more sharp and powerfull.. But it can also be than your color have faded,,
                I think that ColorX can do much if your color have faded like this:

But if your colors are in pretty good shape and you have more scratches I would go with scratch X.. But if both are a bit of a problem try with both..

Comment

wel good luck
                  show us your car
                  please do not put wax on your front screen.its bad idea
                  i ever did ones.and when start to rain used wipers i could`t see
                  cause of stripes of the wax.
                  alberto gorin
                  known as gorin002

Comment

so any suggestion on how many passes I should make...i am going to switch to scratchx because the paint is not faded at all

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');