• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im embarrassed to drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im embarrassed to drive!

Hello all,

I've been lurking around on this site for several weeks now gathering very useful and educational information. I recently purchased a PC to maintain the finish on my 2006 Chevy 2500HD (White), and to (hopefully) bring to life my 1991 Nissan Maxima (Sorta-Black). I've spent many thousands of dollars on tires, wheels, lift, stereo, etc. for my truck, so I bought the Maxima as a commuter to prevent were-and-tear on my truck.

Basically, the car is a POS, but it gets me to work and back, and it's a great car to practice with my PC. As you can see in the pics, the cars finished is horrible! The hood and roof are HEAVILY oxidized, and the overall paint is filled with heavy scratches and swirls. I understand it will never look good enough for a first date ride, but I at least want to stop being glared at by every cop that drives past me because I'm driving a tweakermobile.

I used the PC last weekend on portions of the hood and roof to get a feel for the thing. I used #83 and the pad that came with the PC. I know I should have thrown the pad away as soon as I got it, but I just wanted to use the machine, and again, I don't care if I mess the car up. It made a considerable difference with the oxidation; however, the portions I polished now have a white/gray tone, almost as if I've reached the primer.

Any suggestions on what this haze is and what I can do to remove or at least diminish it?

One more question...I have a performance boat with a multicolored gel-coat finish. Is it safe to use the PC on the gel-coat to remove minor swirls? If so are there any posts with product details to use and techniques?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Re: Im embarrassed to drive!

That's called, "Clear Coat Failure", it cannot be fixed.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Best guess is you're a day late and a dollar short, your paint was/is deteriorating past the point of no return. When you worked on it you removed what little paint was left and now it looks even worse.

Sad truth is no product from any company is going to fix the problem, the only honest cure is to repaint the car.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Is there anything you can do to specifically prevent clear coat failure? Is keeping a good coat of wax the answer?
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Wash the car with a non-detergent wash and maintain by polishing and waxing frequently. The next best thing would be to keep the car out of the sun as much as possible.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for your replies Mike. I don't think painting is an option, considering I only paid $500 for the car. It may not look pretty, but it runs great and gets me to work and back. I'll just keep practicing with the PC on the other panels.

Regarding my other question about the boat, what do you suggest to clean up some minor swirling? Do you use the same DA techniques on gel as with car paint?

Comment

You might want to look here:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

I have never seen one of these cars in real life, but it probably won't look any worse.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');