• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice on Clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on Clay

I was wondering if i need a new piece of clay would it be better to just get the Quik Clay Detailing System again for $10 which has 100g of clay or the Detailing Clay - Mild/Agressive for $28 which has 200g. I know price wise the quik clay is better but is there a difference between these clays?

Thanks

Re: Need Advice on Clay

yes, the white one is less aggresive than the blue & red clay. . . the main question is what is your purpose? how many cars are you planning to clay? if you're gonna clay just one car, you might want to get the clay system. if you're gonna clay alot of car, buy the blue/red clay.
    before u rev em up, shine em up!

Comment

Originally posted by frustrateddetailer View Post
      yes, the white one is less aggresive than the blue & red clay. . . the main question is what is your purpose? how many cars are you planning to clay? if you're gonna clay just one car, you might want to get the clay system. if you're gonna clay alot of car, buy the blue/red clay.
      Unless you're a Professional Detailer experienced with a rotary buffer, you should avoid using the red aggressive clay because it's so aggressive on some paint types it can leave what's called "Clay Haze", which is actually light scratches in the paint.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The clay that is in the professional line (Detailing Clay - Mild) is one bar that is 200g, correct? I just recieved mine the other day and have no experience using meguiars clay. I've done a lot of research on here and it sounds as if the regular Consumer Line bar is recommended to be cut into three pieces. Does this mean that the blue clay bar i got should be cut into 6 pieces. I know it really sounds like a stupid question because it's twice as big so that's probably what should be done. It just seems as if this is going to leave the pieces quite small. Is that really how thin the pieces need to be when using them, and how long should they last. I feel like if i cut it into larger pieces though, I really didn't save any money by getting the Professional Line, plus I didn't get the QD or a microfiber towel that comes with the smooth Clay System. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jarred
        Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Most people would cut the 100 gram bar into 2 pieces, not three, you could cut it into 3 pieces but you're talking about using a 33 gram piece of clay and that's pretty small but you could do this. The important thing is to be able to make a small patty, like a pancake with the clay to move over the surface of the paint.

If you have the 200 gram bar, same logic applies, you could cut this up into 4 to 6 pieces possibly settle with 5 pieces. By doing this you would get the most bang for your buck.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jarred767 View Post

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jarred
            Here's a few tips that you could apply towards the Professional Line clay bar.

Cutting the clay bar that comes in the Quik Clay System into 2 pieces works pretty well, cutting it into 3 pieces can also be done but I don't thing 4 gives you enough material to be effective at doing a good job of claying your car's finish.

Remove the clay from the package

Cut the clay into 2-3 peices

Spray a little Quick Detailer into a Ziploc baggie

Place the extra piece or pieces into the baggie

You're ready to go!

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike, sounds like 5 is probably a pretty good number. On an average car, these should roughly last about 3 cars correct. Assuming there is just your regular contamination and not 10 years of built up stuff or a bunch of overspray, I know I've read on hear that you just use it until it's used up, but how long does this usually take for you guys.

Thanks, Jarred
              Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

There is no set number of cars, just use your best judgment by taking into consideration how bad the car is to start with and how ugly the clay becomes.

My dad has a 1965 Thunderbird Convertible that is driven a few days a year, he likely doesn't need to clay it very often and when he does his clay will still be okay for many future uses because his car is rarely used.

Someone that parks their car at the airport or in an industrial zone all of the time could likely use up a clay bar the first time they use it.

It's all relative, that's why you need to use your own best judgment based upon the condition of the car and how ugly the clay gets as you use it. It's best to error on the side of caution.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');