• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using same pads for different cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using same pads for different cars.

I will be doing a black car this weekend for the first time and my car is green, which i will get to next weekend.

When I use the pads on the black car, i plan to clean them with a soft brush after doing every other section or so.

Now let's suppose my car was white and I have this black paint from a week ago stuck on the pads.

Will the black paint on the pad bond with the white paint when i am removing defects on the white car? Is there any other way of cleaning the pads besides the towel and brush way, and the good ole hand washing?

I have seen a previous thread, and i do NOT think machine washing is safe enough.

Re: Using same pads for different cars.

i could be wrong, but from what i learned and was told, no.

i did a silver roof to a black car once and no worries.

in between uses, i clean my pads throughly though. sometimes i let them sit in a solution (not suppose to I know but i do sometimes and it works awesome).

so from my experience all i can say is no.

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
      i could be wrong, but from what i learned and was told, no.

i did a silver roof to a black car once and no worries.

in between uses, i clean my pads throughly though. sometimes i let them sit in a solution (not suppose to I know but i do sometimes and it works awesome).

so from my experience all i can say is no.
      Did you go from the silver car to the black car or the other way around? or did the black car have a silver roof?

Also, what kind of solution do you use?

In Mike's DVD, the C1 Corvette he uses for demonstration has a two-tone, single-stage paint job with the sides having large strips of sliver paint and he did not seem to have any problems. I suppose I will be okay.

Comment

Most newer cars have a clear coat so you won't see any paint transfer no matter what the color. It's only when you're working on a single stage paint that you'll see color transfer from the cart onto your pads.

After years of working on single stage paints, going from any combinations of colors you can think of, there has never been an issue with color/pigment transfer from one car via a pad to another car.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I did a car with a silver roof. roof was last thing i did.

then i went and did g/f black car. no worries.

my solution.

put on DA and wrap in Terry Cloth towel and clean most of junk off first.

then.

all purpose cleaner diluted to at least 10:1 or 12:1. I get this little square bucket i have (more like big tupperware) and put warm/hot water in it, with a few sprays of the solution. then i just the part of the pad that touches the wax etc...sit in it for aabout 30 minutes and you can see all the wax and **** come off (Change in colour in water). Then i take them out, let them dry, spin them on the DA and clean with toothbrush

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
            I did a car with a silver roof. roof was last thing i did.

then i went and did g/f black car. no worries.

my solution.

put on DA and wrap in Terry Cloth towel and clean most of junk off first.

then.

all purpose cleaner diluted to at least 10:1 or 12:1. I get this little square bucket i have (more like big tupperware) and put warm/hot water in it, with a few sprays of the solution. then i just the part of the pad that touches the wax etc...sit in it for aabout 30 minutes and you can see all the wax and **** come off (Change in colour in water). Then i take them out, let them dry, spin them on the DA and clean with toothbrush
            Cool, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');