• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post, advice sought on detailing new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post, advice sought on detailing new car

Hi there,
    This is my first post here, and I think it's auspicious as I just collected my new car this week, discovered this site yesterday and the local auto store is now stocking Meguiars

Unfortunately living in Ireland we are prone to wet, damp weather at least 7 months of the year, road conditions are pretty poor by European/US standards so paint marring/scratching is always a problem no matter how careful you are, plus the car is a daily driver which is parked outdoors 24/7. All this basically means for me is that I won't be able to detail as often as I like over weather conditions, so whatever wax/sealant I use has to be durable. For now best I can hope for is wash every 2 weeks, weekly if lucky, and detail every 2/3 months, more often when the weather picks up.

I am planning to do everything by hand as I don't have the confidence to use a PC, plus Orbital buffers seem to be the only thing available locally.

Anyway, I read up on the 5 point plan for detailing the paint on this site, and filed in the Meguiars Rx questionnaire. Today I bought these products based on what I have read. Hope I didn't make any mistakes.

I would be very interested in hearing comments/suggestions and possibly some answers to my questions below. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of the colour.

So :
    Wash : NXT Generation Car Wash
    Clay : Quick Clay Detailing System
    Clean Paint : Scratch X, DCP Cleaner Step #1
    Polish Paint : DCP Polish Step #2
    Protection : NXT Generation Tech Wax
    Maintenance : NXT Speed Detailer+NXT Spray Wax

Applications/towels etc..
    1 x Superthick Micro Fibre Wash Mit
    1 x Water Magnet Drying Towel
    4 x High Tech Applicator Pads
    3 x Super Shine Microfibre Towels

Some questions I have :
    1. Is it neccessary to clay a new car if the paint is pretty smooth, and if so is it ok to selectively clay (say side panels where paint could be rough). Will claying replace the use of a good tar remover ? I generally find tar spots are a major problem and I use a bug/tar remover to get them off after washing.

2. Can I skip cleaning the paint on a new car assuming the finish is smooth after washing/claying. And to confirm - from what I have read DCP Step#1 is to revitalise the paint and remove light swirl marks all over, and Scratch X is only for spot swirl marks/scratches. None of which I would need to use at this stage. The car actually looks pretty swirl free coming from the dealer. I am not that finicky. If I can't see swirl marks in sunlight, it's good enough for me.

3. For Protetcion I went with NXT Tech Wax instead of DCP Step#3 Caranuba, as I think it will last longer. However will the mild abrasives in the Tech wax remove some of the fillers/polish in DCP Step #2

4. Assuming I clean/polish/protect the paint every 8-12 weeks, in between is it ok to use speed detailer and spray wax after washing.

5. Last thing, can all cleaners/polishes/waxe be applied with the applicator pads. And are the supershine microfibre towels good enough for buffing to a shine with ?

Thanks a million for your input

Re: First post, advice sought on detailing new car

Hi Flanno,

See my answers below in blue

Originally posted by Flanno View Post
    Hi there,

Some questions I have :
    1. Is it necessary to clay a new car if the paint is pretty smooth, and if so is it ok to selectively clay (say side panels where paint could be rough).

You don't have to clay a new car as long as the surface feels smooth and glossy. Yes you can selectively clay.

Will claying replace the use of a good tar remover ? I generally find tar spots are a major problem and I use a bug/tar remover to get them off after washing.

Yes, but it will load your clay up with black tar, better to wipe it off with a paint cleaner instead.

2. Can I skip cleaning the paint on a new car assuming the finish is smooth after washing/claying. And to confirm - from what I have read DCP Step#1 is to revitalize the paint and remove light swirl marks all over, and Scratch X is only for spot swirl marks/scratches. None of which I would need to use at this stage. The car actually looks pretty swirl free coming from the dealer. I am not that finicky. If I can't see swirl marks in sunlight, it's good enough for me.

Both DCPC and ScratchX are paint cleaners, you can use them over the entire car or just for problem spots, the DCPC is very gentle and the ScratchX is more powerful but they are both safe for clear coat paints.

3. For Protection I went with NXT Tech Wax instead of DCP Step#3 Carnauba, as I think it will last longer. However will the mild abrasives in the Tech wax remove some of the fillers/polish in DCP Step #2

To some degree probably "Yes", but probably not completely as the type and amount of cleaners in NXT is pretty mild, it's not a cleaner/wax by any means, besides that this product is very good at filling and masking light swirls. Just to point out, any wax on the market that actually works will fill and mask because if it's working it's leaving itself behind on the surface.

4. Assuming I clean/polish/protect the paint every 8-12 weeks, in between is it ok to use speed detailer and spray wax after washing.

Yes.

5. Last thing, can all cleaners/polishes/wax be applied with the applicator pads. And are the supershine microfiber towels good enough for buffing to a shine with ?

Yes.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow! Thanks for that quick reply. I guess I didn't make any blunder. Pays to read these forums.

So after washing I would normally use something like Meguiars bug and tar remover to get off the tar which is usually only on the lower panels. There is just no getting around tar spots where I live. Would you recommend I continue to use this or would DCPC be more effective for cleaning tar spots from door panels ?

And bearing in mind the paint is new, at what point would I be looking at using DCPC for cleaning the paint completely ? I was thinking for now, just skipping straight to DCPP after washing.

Thanks again

Comment

If you have the bug and tar remover then go ahead and use it, if you use it before washing you'll keep from getting the tar onto your wash mitt.

We posted that you could use a paint cleaner also because some people that will read this thread over the next decade or two might not have our bug and tar remover or had access to it and for these people a paint cleaner will work fine.

(We always type for the big picture, not for the moment)
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I usually use a 2nd mit of lesser quality for the bottom of the car where it's dirtiest. And also use this to remove the tar once the cleaner has done it's thing.

Here's a noob question for you - at least one premium wax/polish manufacturer here in the uk/ireland recommends when applying their polish, apply it in large circular overlapping motions and then even out into straight lines before it dries. I always thought it was best to avoid using circular motions to minimise the risk of noticeable swirls marks. Or is this a myth ?

thanks

Comment

I usually use a 2nd mit of lesser quality for the bottom of the car where it's dirtiest. And also use this to remove the tar once the cleaner has done it's thing.

Here's a noob question for you - at least one premium wax/polish manufacturer here in the uk/ireland recommends when applying their polish, apply it in large circular overlapping motions and then even out into straight lines before it dries. I always thought it was best to avoid using circular motions to minimise the risk of noticeable swirls marks. Or is this a myth ?

thanks
            Here's an article we wrote on this topic, in a nutshell, if you're using a high quality product then it should matter which way you move your hand. Read this,

Circles or Straight Lines?

Originally posted by MattN03
            I attempted a search because I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything. When applying Speed Glaze, then DC#2, and finally NXT, how should I apply these products by hand?

I'm using Meguiar’s foam applicators and will remove with a quality MF. How does everyone rub the products on?
            • * Do you rub in straight lines?
            • * Do you rub in circle motions?

In my younger (less educated) days, I would just put some wax on a pad & rub it on in a swirling motion, but now I'm wondering if that’s the best way to do it. I just want to improve my technique! Thanks everyone.
            Hi MattNO3

Thank your for your questions. Meguiar’s official response to this question is this,

If you’re using a non-abrasive product with a high quality, clean, soft foam applicator pad, and you’re working on a clean surface, then it shouldn't’t matter which direction you move the applicator pad over the finish because nothing you’re using will be instilling any scratches or swirls into the finish.

The above being true, then some panels lend themselves better to straight line motions, while other panels lend themselves better to circular motions.

Examples:

Circular Motions
            Most people find it’s easier to apply products in circular motions to large panels like the hood of a car. The reason for this is because circular motions act to help you spread your product out over large areas for more even, and thorough coverage. Some people also feel that circular motions help you to better work products into the finish. One thing for sure, moving your applicator pad in a circular motion tends to feel natural, and appears to come natural to most people. (Hand a wax applicator to 10 people and ask them to apply some wax to the hood of a car and stand back and watch how they apply the wax).

Straight Line Motions
            Without good technique, applying products using straight-line motions is more difficult on larger panels. Straight-line motions are just as easy to use as circular motions, (and sometimes easier), on small panels and panels or sections that are longer in one direction while narrow in the other direction. Some times the panel itself will determine which direction you will apply your product.

An example would be the painted pillar on the side of the windshield on my Blazer.

Common sense tells you, (as well as the actual application of a product), that it will be easier and more efficient to use straight-line motions versus circular motions to apply a polish or wax to this thin, narrow painted section, than it will be to use circular motions.

The key thing to remember is this,

If you’re applying non-abrasive products, i.e. products that do not scratch or scour the finish, and your applying them with a soft, clean applicator and using good technique, then you should not be instilling any scratches or swirls no matter what direction you’re moving your hand.

Hope this helps…

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Very informative. Thanks.

So big detailing day ahead tommorrow. Hope the weather holds

Just realised I will need something for the alloys. Although new, they seem to have quite a bit of rust around the discs. I take it, this is because the car is outside in rain for the last week and has not been driven until today. I hope

Comment

Disk brakes get a skim coat of rust on them very easily. As soon as you tap your brakes it should all rub right off.

I use the Multi-Piece Wheel Wash for cleaning my wheels, but if yours are bare alloys, you could follow with a metal polish like Nxt Metal Polysh to really make them shine.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Cheers - will look into it.

Would not using an alloy cleaner and a metal polish be a big aggressive on new alloys ? The meguiars site says the NXT All metal polish contains abrasives (MDAT). I suppose I could use both when the alloys get ratty looking.

Anyway - I was thinking of these 2 products for alloys and tyres for sure :
                  Hot rims all wheel claner and hot shine tyre dressing - both available locally.
                  For my seats (partial leather) - I was thinking either Gold Class Rich Leather wipes or Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. Which is better ?

Finally - I need something to keep the dashboard in good shape, as well as various other bits inside and out (rubber door seals, plastic trim, plastic on the front air inlet grille etc..). There seems to be a wide choice here - quick detailer interior, gold class time detailer etc.. but nxt tech protect caught my eye as it says it protects all rubber, vinyl and plastic surfaces. Would this be suitable for plastic trim on front grille of car, but also be usable on the rubbers along the doors as well as for cleaning the dash ?

That's about $280 on Meguairs products spent today !!

thanks again

Comment

See my answers in blue below with one red clickable link.

Cheers - will look into it.

Would not using an alloy cleaner and a metal polish be a big aggressive on new alloys ? The Meguiar's site says the NXT All metal polish contains abrasives (MDAT). I suppose I could use both when the alloys get ratty looking.

MDAT is an acronym for Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, as such the cleaning power of our NXT All Metal Polysh is effective and safe, it's not going to scour your rims. Be sure to find out if you rims are polished and uncoated or if they have some type of coating on them.

Anyway - I was thinking of these 2 products for alloys and tyres for sure :
                    Hot rims all wheel cleaner and hot shine tyre dressing - both available locally.

As long as your wheels are NOT polished aluminum, anodized aluminum, polished magnesium then Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner will be safe, basically the wheel has to have a factory paint finish or be chrome, anything else and the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner may stain or dull the rim. When in doubt, use normal car wash soap, Multi-Piece Wheel Cleaner, or M36 Wheel Cleaner.

Hot Shine Tire Dressing is a popular product and easy to apply just be sure to do it out of the wind so you don't waste product or have any overspray drift onto the paint or other items in the area. Some people like to place some newspaper or cardboard under the tires to prevent overspray from getting on the pavement.

For my seats (partial leather) - I was thinking either Gold Class Rich Leather wipes or Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. Which is better ?

It's really hard for us to say one product is better than another because we believe all of our products are great, it's just some have better applications than others and some suit a person's personal preferences better than other options.

Wipes are usually thought of as a fast, convenient product because the product is self-contained in a disposable wipe.

Our other leather care product all work great you just need to decide which type of delivery method you like best, foam, spray, gel or lotion. They all clean, condition and protect.

Finally - I need something to keep the dashboard in good shape, as well as various other bits inside and out (rubber door seals, plastic trim, plastic on the front air inlet grille etc..). There seems to be a wide choice here - quick detailer interior, gold class time detailer etc.. but NXT tech protect caught my eye as it says it protects all rubber, vinyl and plastic surfaces. Would this be suitable for plastic trim on front grille of car, but also be usable on the rubbers along the doors as well as for cleaning the dash ?

Again, all of our products work great, it's just a matter of singling down your options to the one that suits your needs best. If you do a search on NXT Tech Protect, you can find plenty of real-world opinions from your forum friends.

That's about $280 on Meguiar's products spent today !!

thanks again
                    Would you blame our forum for this?
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Yes....I blame you forum. Thanks a lot

My friends think I am crazy for spending so much and reckoned I should have bought a bottle of bog standard wash and wax for $5 and left it at that, and when I told them there exists websites which advise on how to clean/polish your car they didn't believe me. The word detailing would only confuse them. The problem in Ireland is the car detailing scene is very very niche. In fact in the city I live in which is the 3rd biggest in Ireland with a population of a few hundred thousand there is really only 1 auto shop, and they started stocking Meguiars recently and one other big name brand that is associated with Jaguar and Rolls Royce. Most people I know, in fact everyone I know just puts their cars through an auto wash, though lately these brushless auto washes have caught on. Anyone that tells you they power hose their car, you will usually find them using a dirty great brush to "clean" it with, and a gallon of some concentrated stuff they got from the garage down the road for the "suds" or possiby washing up liquid. Usually an old sponge for the delicate bits. I have seen brand new Bentley Continental GT's, a couple of Aston Martins, S Class Mercs, and most recently a Corvette Z06 that looked like someone had polished them with brasso pads I still regularly come across people, even sales guys in garages who did not know what marring or swirl marks / spider webbing is, even when pointed out. They thought, that's just the way paint is. Sheesh.

Comment

Forgot to ask.
                        What is the ideal temp for washing and detailing ?

Right now - it's 1 degree celcius out even though it's sunny !!

Comment

Well no detailing for me until tommorrow but I completed ALL my purchases today - hopefull at least a years worth.

So in the end I got :

NXT Generation Car Wash
                          Quick Clay Detailing System
                          Scratch X
                          DCP Cleaner Step #1
                          DCP Polish Step #2
                          NXT Generation Tech Wax
                          NXT Speed Detailer
                          NXT Spray Wax
                          Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
                          Gold Class Trim Detailer
                          Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner
                          NXT Generation Insane Shine Tires
                          NXT All Metal Polysh
                          2 x Superthick Micro Fibre Wash Mits
                          1 x Water Magnet Drying Towel
                          6 x High Tech Applicator Pads
                          6 x Supreme Shine Microfibre Towels
                          2 x Ultra Plush Super Terry Towels

For the interior of the car and remaining bits I stuck with autoglym as I have used and like these products :
                          autoglym interior shampoo
                          autoglym intensive tar remover
                          autoglym fast glass
                          autoglym glass polish
                          autoglym vinyl and rubber care
                          autoglym hitech wheel brush
                          half a dozen halfords general purpose micro fibre cloths

Now I'm broke

Just realised I should probably return the NXT Speed Detailer, because the Clay Kit comes with Quick Detailer.
                          Are they similar ?

Comment

Just realised I should probably return the NXT Speed Detailer, because the Clay Kit comes with Quick Detailer.
                            Are they similar ?
                            Looks like a good collection!

You could keep the Speed Detailer if you would like to use it after washes to remove water spots, removing light dust or just giving you the 'freshly waxed' look. You will use a good amount of the detailer in the clay kit. Just a thought.
                            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks. Will probably hold onto the speed detailer. Something I can use over the Summer months.

Just wondering if there is a benefit in topping the NXT Tech Wax with DCP Caranuba. Has anyone done this. Years ago when I washed/waxed I always used autoglym superresin, extra gloss protection and followed with a layer of blitz wax. Or sometimes just 3M IHG for polishing and hiding swirls plus Blitz.

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of the colour of the car.

Hope it's ok mentioning other manufacturers products. I did see nothing in the forum rules about it, except not to say anything negative.

One last thing....I am not proficient enough to try a PC. But the polishers we have hear are the safe orbital buffers. Any advantage to these over doing things by hand besides maybe been faster and giving a more even coating/buffing ?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');