• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...I want a mirror shine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...I want a mirror shine...

i am not exactly dumb when it comes to detailing exteriors, but i believe i am pretty knowlage-able.

i would seriously like a shine that when i look into the paint, it looks almost like a mirror. i understand that this is easier done with black cars, but this is what i achieved with just a basic wash and wax, brand other than meguires. i believe they cost me less than 10 bucks total.

can i make it even more of a mirror?

now i want to go crazy when it comes to detailing. i wash my car weekly as it is when the weather permits(ie, not snowing = washing it).

i have the following products from meguires which i havent used yet:

-deep crystal step 1 cleaner
    -deep crystal step 2 polish
    -deep crystal step 3 wax/sealer
    -hot shine tire shine spray
    -gold class wash/shampoo
    -smooth surface clay kit
    -plastix
    -gold class bug & tar remover

is there anything else that i should be looking into?

also, what is the real difference between liquid and paste wax? is it just the way of applicating or more to it?
    2001 Granite Sentra Se - Brought back to a brilliant shine via meguiars. took 6+ hours of work. i'm currently loving its' shine.

Re: ...I want a mirror shine...

Since you're working on a clear coat and not colored or pigmented paint, then the most you can do is get the paint as defect free and as smooth as you can so that there are no imperfects like swirls or scratches, even minute ones, out of the paint.

Then use a wax that creates a clear, reflective, high gloss finish.

This would apply to any clear coat finish on any car in the known universe regardless of the color underneath. Then what you can see with your eyes will be determined by the color under the clear coat and environment, such as lighting.

If you're not working by machine, then that's something you might look into, the machine will ALWAYS produce better results than your hand with 4 digits pushing down on some kind of applicator working it back and forth or in circles to the best of your muscles ability.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Oh yeah, this was your first post...

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

You'll find lots of friendly and helpful people on this forum always willing to lend a cyber-hand!

List 'O Links

Many of the things we cover in our Saturday Classes are discussed and talked about in the threads found in the sub-forums of the Information Station

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
      How To Remove Swirls By Hand
      How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
      Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
      Circles or Straight Lines?
      Which LSP is Best for Light Colors
      How to locate Meguiar's Professional & Detailer products in your hometown
      How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
      The Dual Action Counterweight "Controversy"
      What are the Differences Between Meguiar's Waxes
      What's the Deal with "Layering"?
      Measuring Clear Coat Thickness
      Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer
      Glass Polishing...Deep Cleaning
      NXT Tech Wax Cure Time
      Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
      Colored Waxes - Do they really work?
      PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher
      What it Means to Remove a Scratch
      Why Meguiar's Recommends Polishing Paint
      A Lesson From White Paint
      Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

aaahhhh it erased my whole post. i'll try and type it all over again....

thanks mike for the welcome, and the land of links.

i've been doing some research, and even more now since you gave me the land of links.

basically for clear coat finish its remove all contaiminates, scratches, and swirls to prepare for a high gloss wax?

i understand that the machine would be more consistant due to muscle strain from waxing, but is there a picture liked somewhere the difference between hand and g100?
        2001 Granite Sentra Se - Brought back to a brilliant shine via meguiars. took 6+ hours of work. i'm currently loving its' shine.

Comment

Originally posted by chiquae07 View Post
          but is there a picture liked somewhere the difference between hand and g100?
          Lots of them in this forum,

Pictures from Detail Days at Meguiar's

Look in the older threads especially...

The differences are usually major, depending on the person doing the work by hand and their skill level, that said the difference don't show up as well by camera as they do in person. In the below picture, the passenger side was done by hand and the driver's side was done by machine.

In the picture both sections look real good, in person the machine side blows way the hand side.

Before

After
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

definetly have to say thanks for all the information.

a quick question though mike, what would be good for removing the tar/glue from the rubber door molds? i've tried bug and tar remover, let it sit, and scrub with a cloth but it diddnt work too well.

thats what i want to remove.

Comment

Try Goo Gone, it's pretty good at disolving things like this, you could also try a paint cleaner like ScratchX or DCPC
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');