• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few detailing questions..need your help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few detailing questions..need your help.

Hey party people,

I have a few questions for all you fine folks around here. I have read the "How to care for a new car" thread but I would appreciate a bit more insight. Recently, I bought a new Mazda 3 and went abut cleaning it the way I usually clean a car for the first time which entails:
    1. Wash - Meg. Deep Crystal (I need to use 2 buckets from now on - THANK YOU MOL!)
    2. Clay Bar
    3. Wax - I used the last of my Eagle One Nano Wax
    4. Wax - Light coat of NXT Spray Wax
    5. Wheels - This step will be step 1 next time to get it out of the way
    6. Windows, Interior

Okay. So every week since that first wash I usually wash then wax using Meguiars Cleaner Wax. The reason behind the weekly waxing is the fact that my car is outside (no garage) 24/7 and that I have read on the Mazda3 forums that the Mazda 3's paint job/quality is extremly poor.

Which leads me to my questions.
    1. Is it necessary to wax weekly (sometimes bi-weekly if I'm lazy) or will something like the Quick Wax or Speed Detailer be good enough?
    2. How often should I be waxing my car if weekly, or bi-weekly, is too often?
    3. How often should I clay? I understand that if I can see/feel imperfections it's time, but is there a schedule (for lack of a better term) that one should/could follow for an "optimum" look and protection to lay down a fresh coat of wax?

Thanks for any help beforehand. This forum rocks.

Re: A few detailing questions..need your help.

Originally posted by CWM3 View Post
    Which leads me to my questions.

1. Is it necessary to wax weekly (sometimes bi-weekly if I'm lazy) or will something like the Quick Wax or Speed Detailer be good enough?

How often you wash and wax depends on how destructive the environment you park your car is. The idea is to wash the car often to remove dirt and contaminants that will deteriorate your paint. The act of washing your car remove wax, so the worse the environment, the more often you should wash, the more you wash the more you should wax.

You'll have to decide this since but you could probably get away with waxing every month or two as long as you wash often. Keep in mind the only time your car looks "Just waxed" is when it's been just waxed.

2. How often should I be waxing my car if weekly, or bi-weekly, is too often?

See our answer above.

3. How often should I clay? I understand that if I can see/feel imperfections it's time, but is there a schedule (for lack of a better term) that one should/could follow for an "optimum" look and protection to lay down a fresh coat of wax?

Thanks for any help beforehand. This forum rocks.
    There is no time schedule for claying, Meguiar's teaches people to evaluate their finish and when they feel bonded contaminants after washing, the use detailing clay.

There's a great thread on this in the Hot Topics forum.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');