• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Wells

So I just washed my car everything looks great but the wheel wells are all muddy and dusty (very noticable on a black car). Is there a way to clean them w/o a power washer, like some detailers I have seen. Griots Garage (aka $$$$$) reccomends a dye substance that darkens the wells. It seems to work, but this just covers the dirt up. Are these the only alternatives or can wheel wells be cleaned by good ol soap?
    I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
    Take the Car Crazy Test

when I wash the wheel well's of my car I make sure I get all the dirt off. After they dry I use this product on them . The Tuff Stuff work's great. But if that doesn't do the job for you try this . Both of these product work great for me. You may have to use it a couple of time's on the wheel well's before you get the result's that you want.
    Last edited by JG_Detailing; Jul 15, 2004, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I use a large soft bristle brush and the left over car wash soap. This is my last step prior to final rinse. Sometimes I will employ a 50/50 mix of Simple Green in the wheel wells only.
      E! - 68 Shelby Cobra GT500KR, 98 SuperDuty Winnebago Minni, 01 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide, 03 Mach 1, 06 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Comment

I give them a shot of Orange Blast or Simple Green and have a special "soft" brush with a long handle to do some light scrubbing. I don't like to scrub too hard because if you put scratches in the plastic wheel well liner, then it looks pretty bad as the car ages. I've read where some use a cleaner/degreaser and than wipe with a terry cloth towel instead of using a brush.

I also use what Chevyman2001 uses. I spray the STP Son-of-a-Gun up in the wheel well for a nice clean black look.

I won’t use this on my tires as it causes my tires to "bloom" (turns the tire brown due to the tire releasing carbon for UV protection). It also stains your driveway pretty badly.

It doesn't last long if you go through a rain storm, etc. but it's cheap at Wally-world and works fine to get a nice look for something that you know is going to get washed away anyway.

Anyone know if Meguiar’s or some other manufacture has a nice dressing for wheel wells that won’t wash off quickly? Something like Endurance (love that stuff).
        A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

I never used the Endurance before. Does it work great like people say it does.

Comment

I like it a lot. I purchased the "regular" formula, not the high gloss, as I don't like the shiny, oily look.

I’ve heard some people say it slings, but I don't have that problem. I use an EO foam tire swipe to apply and I usually only apply it when I know the car is going to sit for a while.

Because of the way my house sits, my driveway gets full sun all day. I find myself washing my cars either early morning (rarely) or evenings, just before dusk. If I put on the Endurance and pull the car into the garage overnight, I don't even need to buff the product off the tires the next day.

Oh, one other thing. Almost like a wax/sealant, the better (cleaner) the tire is prepped, the longer the durability of the product. I’ve found if I apply it to a tire that hasn’t been scrubbed clean first, it doesn’t last long. Not the products fault, but the process.

I highly recommend Endurance. It last a long time, my tires are much easier to clean as I don't have as much dirt adhere to them and even after it wears off the tires still seem to have a nice matte finish to them for awhile.

Comment

When I detail I start with the wheel wells first off before washing. That gives them time to let them dry for inspection and rescrubbing if (when) I miss a spot. I use Extra (50/50 with water... Extra seems to eat undercoating maybe just my imagination) and a scrub brush. Wash the car, then the tire, rims and wheels wells with a separate bucket, separate washmitt, and Wally World tire scrub brush. Here lately I've had good luck with GC trim detail in the wheel wells as a finishing up step.

Endurance applied with terry to tires.

Helpful?? Good luck!!

Comment

I've had good luck with APC+ at about 8:1 and a soft bristled brush to clean them. Then I use Engine Kote to help keep them clean.
                1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora40
                  I've had good luck with APC+ at about 8:1 and a soft bristled brush to clean them. Then I use Engine Kote to help keep them clean.
                  Thanks, but both are not available anymore, right?

I know APC+ has been replaced by APC, but is there a replacement for Engine Kote?

My Meg. Dist. has APC+ still in stock, but I haven't seen Engine Kote on the shelf. I should ask him if they have any in their warehouse.

How long does "the look" last?

Comment

I have found that Engine Kote keeps wheelwells clean for months. I have only had to hose them out and they looked great for a few months. Now they don't come quite as clean and look more grey, but it's been probably close to a year since I cleaned them last. (Wow, has it been that long? )

My car doesn't see tons of bad weather, though, but it does see rain and such from time to time. It's somewhere between daily driver and garage queen.

Comment

Aurora40,

Thanks for the info! I haven't checked with my local Meguiar's distributor yet to see if they have any Engine Kote still in stock.

I'm still wondering if there's a replacement product yet in the detailer line. Do you or anyone know?

Comment

I have used a product called "Mud Off". I get it at a speed shop here in town. It is mainly used for dirt cars before they go out on the track. Then mud pretty much just falls of the car. I know that moto cross guys use the stuff like water. I believe it is a glycerine based product. It works well once you get them clean to keep them clean.
                        Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Comment

Originally posted by fiberrich
                          I'm still wondering if there's a replacement product yet in the detailer line. Do you or anyone know?
                          There is not one. I think they sold like 7 gallons of it or something? Heh, well more than that but hardly any. If you can find it somewhere, definitely pick it up. It's an interesting product. I keep wondering if I should try to track down some Citri-Gel before it's nowhere to be found.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');