• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on how to remove paint from textured trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on how to remove paint from textured trim?

My girlfriend picked up a used 2001 Rav4, and on this particular one the trim(front/rear bumpers and side molding) was supposed to be unpainted, textured gray trim, but the dealer resprayed it body color. I can only assume this was done because the trim had begun to fade and streak white, as is evidenced by areas where the paint is cracking.

Well, the paint is beginning to crack and peel away on the corners, so I'd like to strip the paint and redye the trim, but I have no idea what to use on the trim. It was suggested to me to use some really fine grit(3000-4000) sandpaper on a DA, but this will remove some of the texture. Does anyone have any other ideas?
    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Re: Any ideas on how to remove paint from textured trim?

Originally posted by gbackus View Post
    It was suggested to me to use some really fine grit(3000-4000) sandpaper on a DA, but this will remove some of the texture. Does anyone have any other ideas?
    Any sort of abrasive can and may easily cut through the paint on your trim, but may also unfortunately cut into the plastic. When you have paint that is bonded on it the best thing may be to just take it to a professional who can try using some solvents to take it off.
    Tim Larson
    Meguiars Customer Care Rep
    Meguiar's Inc.
    1-800-854-8073 ext. 169
    Tlarson@meguiars.com

Comment

If you find a solution.....please post it here.

I had a similar problem with my wife's Escape. I noticed one day that the entire body (paint and plastic clading) had little white spots all over it. It had been to the Ford dealer a few days earlier and there is a paint shop right next to it. They denied any wrong doing on there part and since my wife didn't notice it at pick up they did nothing. Anyhow I tried many things and nothing worked on the plastic. So if you find a good solution, I would love to know about it.
      -Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
        If you find a solution.....please post it here.

I had a similar problem with my wife's Escape. I noticed one day that the entire body (paint and plastic clading) had little white spots all over it. It had been to the Ford dealer a few days earlier and there is a paint shop right next to it. They denied any wrong doing on there part and since my wife didn't notice it at pick up they did nothing. Anyhow I tried many things and nothing worked on the plastic. So if you find a good solution, I would love to know about it.
        Ended using bumper stripper from SEM, good product, but the panels need to be OFF the car(or be very good at taping off the paint, and be VERY careful around the edges), and be careful not to get any on your SKIN.

You'll also need some plastic razor blades.

A can costs $14-16 and will do 1- 1.5 full sized bumpers.
        I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');