• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some insight - newbie w/ crackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some insight - newbie w/ crackle

I've tried with no success to take photos that will show my predicament . . . sorry to all those that love to see the photos (I love them just as much!!) Anyway . . . I own a '91 Accord LX Coupe (white) and have not had it on the road in a few years due to health reasons (mine, not the car's!!) I've kept it waxed & covered ('tho not as religiously as when I had it on the road), but last week, when I took the cover off to detail it, I noticed the paint is extensively dulled on the roof, hood & trunk (oxidation I presume), and in spots I've got these little crackle looking marks. I have used ScratchX as well as ColorX and although the products lifted the dark discoloration within the crackles, up close, I can still see them. I've run my fingernail over the crackles and I can't feel them (feels very smooth) so I'm guessing it's under the clearcoat. Today, I received my order of #80, #83 & #4 - all of these products were ordered after following the knowledgeable posters here as well as all the dramatic makeovers on MOL.

Today, though, after re-examing the car, I'm nervous. So, I'm hoping for some guidance here. Can the the paint be saved? If so, should the order of the products be #4, #83 then #80, followed up by NXT Tech Wax? And, do I base the passes of each product according to the desired result? As an FYI, I have already clayed the car, and as mentioned, used ScratchX/ColorX.

BTW, I'm working with a rotary buffer (or my hands!) and the car has never been painted.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and in advance, for any advice you can offer.

Re: Need some insight - newbie w/ crackle

well if the cracks are paint problems, you will have to live with that defect unless you're willing to pay the price of repainting the affected areas.

the working procedure is good, and you can try a test panel. if you see the cracking is gone, you can try it in all the car, but if it can't be removed with #4, then leave the defect alone and focus in adding gloss to the finish

hope this helps
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Re: Need some insight - newbie w/ crackle

Thanks Chex for the advice. I started working on the car today and although the #4 didn't completely rid the paint of the cracks, there was a substantial improvement. Someone would have to get very up close and personal with the car to even see the crackle marks. I'm hoping with passes of #83, #80, then NXT it will improve even more. I'm also going to work in a coat of ColorX to boost the finish further.

I'll update as I go along.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');