• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for just a clearner, nothing else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for just a clearner, nothing else

good morning,

Before I cleanup my car for spring I would like to strip off all of the old layers of NXT, #7, and anything else that is on my finish so that I can truly evaluate the condition of my clear coat so that I can determine what should be done to rebuild. I do not want any abrasive, just a cleaner, or maybe it should be called a stripper. Is there such a Meguiar’s product?

I have also been hearing that the clear coat on the newer VW’s is vary hard so to remove any imperfections I would expect to take a little longer then on a 60 black Vette.

Your feed back on both of these items will be appreciated.
    ---
    Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Re: Looking for just a clearner, nothing else

We thought for the longest time that Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner was merely a chemical paint cleaner but then we found out it's actually a combination of a chemical paint cleaner and a mechanical paint cleaner in that it does in fact contain diminishing abrasives.

That said, it is about the gentlest paint cleaner on the market and in the Meguiar's line. It is actually the perfect product for what you want to accomplish because it is so gentle.

You actually want to use a product like this because you actually want a minimal amount of cleaners to be effective when you apply the product or you could be wasting your time.

Give it a try, Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, by hand or machine. It will effectively clean the paint and provide you with a fresh base to start with. ScratchX and M09 and M82 will all accomplish this also.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

U can use a Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. it's non abrasive & it cleans up the paint really well. Squeaky clean.

If u don't mind if there's polish in it, u can also use a Cleaner Polish such as the Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish, M80 Speed Glaze & like Mike mentioned above. It can also remove the swirls and imperfections on the car's paint.

Are u working by hand or machine...? TQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        We thought for the longest time that Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner was merely a chemical paint cleaner but then we found out it's actually a combination of a chemical paint cleaner and a mechanical paint cleaner in that it does in fact contain diminishing abrasives.
        This I have on hand, and I assume that after evaluating the paint service (in order of grit) #9, #82, #80 or #83 depending on the amount and degree of the swirls.

Originally posted by cv_soccer View Post
        I have also been hearing that the clear coat on the newer VW’s is vary hard so to remove any imperfections I would expect to take a little longer then on a 60 black Vette.
        After attempting a test spot with Scratch X over the weekend there was no difference in the amount of swirl , any suggestions?
        Last edited by Mike Phillips; Mar 5, 2007, 11:24 AM. Reason: 5th attempt to get this message to post clean
        ---
        Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Comment

This I have on hand, and I assume that after evaluating the paint service (in order of grit) #9, #82, #80 or #83 depending on the amount and degree of the swirls.
          Yes, that is the correct order for those products.

After attempting a test spot with Scratch X over the weekend there was no difference in the amount of swirl , any suggestions?

You have found out what so many other people before you have found out and that is clear coat paints tend to be hard, not soft. There are exceptions, but in most case when you go out into your garage to work on your car you'll find the paint to be difficult to remove defects out of it by hand.

The other problem is most people don't know how to correctly work a hand-applied paint cleaner so they don't get good results. This is the reason many people upgrade to a dual action polisher of some type to do the work for them.

If you don't have a machine yet and you want to remove swirls then you might want to consider getting a machine.

If you want to continue working by hand then we can help you.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');