• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buffer burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buffer burn?

A friend at work just bought a used Porsche Boxster S. The paint is average, with some major swirls from either the dealership, or the previous owner. He washed the car for the first time this weekend, and told me about some areas that look real bad. With lightly rubbing your finger across the area, you can feel the scratches, and to me, look like buffer burn. The only good thing about it, is they are low enough on the car, and you see the reflection on the ground, unless you kneel down and look at it level.

Am I right in thinking those are buffer burns?

Re: buffer burn?

If the paint you're showing us in the pictures is washed and clean, then it looks like the whitish areas are areas where the black paint has been buffed through, or burned through and what you're seeing is the undercoat or primer.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yep: burned the clear coat. I've seen a few BMW's that I recondition that have been burned before coming to the shop. Sometimes the auto auction detailers will get too aggressive.

Totoland Mach
      Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

The car is not freshly clean, it has some dust from normal driving, but the areas I was talking about are the white ones.

Comment

Ouch...

Repaint or learn to live with it. Just to note, the more you work on those areas, the more the white will show up as you remove paint around them.

Sorry...

Too much of this -->
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Would lightly going over that area with a 7424 and 80 do any more damage? The entire car is swirled.

Comment

It probably doesn't matter how light you go over it it's still going to get worse using a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by eric96ser View Post
                Would lightly going over that area with a 7424 and 80 do any more damage? The entire car is swirled.
                Yes.

If that is in fact white primer showing where the black paint has been worn through then any buffing in that area igoing to remove more paint and thus expose more white primer.

At this point ther could be other areas on the car where the detailer has removed too much paint and as carefull as your are, to even work gentlycould expose more white.

You could try a light paint cleaner or cleaner polish in the affected area and then go to wax.

Same thing for the rest of the car actually. Remember, lots of Billy Bob type detailers will tend to overbuff on the easy to buff areas.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ok, thanks. I'll just cover that area with a MF towel.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');