• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pads for polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pads for polisher

Hey guys, spring is right around the corner here in Michigan and I am eagerly waiting to get waxing, especially after all the salt we use here on the roads. I have a craftsman polisher, not an orbital buffer, a 2 speed polisher, I think it is a 6" disk thats on it. What type of pads do I need? I have wheeled boats for along time, but there are allot more pad choices I see here on the Meguiar's web site then I ever knew existed.......

Thanks allot,
    Chris
    04 Ford Ranger Edge (Dark shadow Grey metallic)

Re: pads for polisher

Is the 6" disk rubber?

If so, can you take it off?

You need a backing plate that fits on the arbor of the buffer and has Velcro on the other side.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      Is the 6" disk rubber?

If so, can you take it off?

You need a backing plate that fits on the arbor of the buffer and has Velcro on the other side.
      Yes, it is rubber. So do they make universal backing plates, or are they brand specific? After I get one onf those, what pads will I need?

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by mrbell83 View Post
        Yes, it is rubber. So do they make universal backing plates, or are they brand specific? After I get one onf those, what pads will I need?

Thanks,
        Chris
        You need to find out what size your arbor is, it's either 3/8 or 1/2 inch. Professional or industrial standard is 1/2 inch and that's what every backing plate is made to fit.

If you buffer has a 3/8 arbor than that's an indicator it also has a low amp motor and probably won't hold up to hours of buffing in the long run. Some guys had make a Helli-coil work as an adapter between a 3/8 arbor to a 1/2" arbor.

Worst case scenario is you have some kind of screw holding that rubber plat onto the buffer it you do it's more or less useless and you should look at investing in a newer tool, best bet would be a dual action polisher.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Almost all rotary buffers use a common arbor size, so backing pads should be universal. I know the model you're talking about though (it's manufactured under a bunch of brands), and to be honest I don't know if this one has the common (5/8"?) arbor. Take the plate off and see...

A cheap and quick way to make it work, for now, is to buy a pack of stick-on velcro strips, cut them into pieces, and stick them unto the circumference of the rubber pad. This way you'll be able to use the velcro foam pads.

Comment

Ok, well when I get home tonight I will measure....

What about pads? Even if I bite the bullet and get a new tool, what kind of pads will I need?

my vehicle has no oxidation and I clay bar it 2-3 times a year with probably 3-4 waxes a year. Right now I am using 3M products, but I will be getting some Meguiars stuff after I read up on what I need.......

thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');