• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let me know if this process is correct? Rail Rust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me know if this process is correct? Rail Rust!

My white 4runner has "rail rust" or tons of little rust spots all over the vehicle. I really mean a lot of rust spots. According to some of the threads I have read the ABC car wash system is really the only way to get rid of this problem. In Colorado they spray Mag Chloride on the roads and it has little metal particles in it. Here is the process I think should happen. Let me know if this is wrong!

A-B-C car wash system
    Clay entire car
    #2 Cleaner w/ PC
    #80 w/ PC
    NXT wax w/ PC

Re: Let me know if this process is correct? Rail Rust!

That process should take care of the problem. The only caveat would be if there are in fact tiny metal particles embedded into the paint if they are not completely removed out of the paint it's possible the metal particles could rust again.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I used the meg's smooth surface clay kit on a spot on the tail gate and it took a lot of scrubbing to get most of the rust off. There still is a little rust that the clay did not get out. So that is why I hope the ABC can get all of the rust out.

Comment

Originally posted by ajjaaron View Post
        I used the meg's smooth surface clay kit on a spot on the tail gate and it took a lot of scrubbing to get most of the rust off. There still is a little rust that the clay did not get out. So that is why I hope the ABC can get all of the rust out.
        Applying a chemical to the rust particles may not physically remove them but alter them. Does that make sense? As in remove the rust color?

It might remove them by dissolving them but think about it, you're talking about a metal particle embedded into a layer of clear paint.

Claying will tend to abrade the highest points off most bonded contaminants but not always metal contaminants because the metal particle is harder than the clay.

That's why I wrote...

The only caveat would be if there are in fact tiny metal particles embedded into the paint if they are not completely removed out of the paint it's possible the metal particles could rust again.

Call the manufacture of the ABC system and ask them about this problem and see what they say.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');