• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby its cold outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby its cold outside

Down to what temperature can one effectively wash/clay/wax a car? Is it safe to say that as long as one doesnt mind the cold, anything goes as long as its above freezing...or is that playing with fire ( so to speak)...

Picking up the car next Saturday..its 21*F now, but the long range forecast says it will be a high 45*F and cloudy on the w/end (down to 34*F at night)...so I'm hoping thats ok...

Anyone ever wash/clay/wax at that temperature?

Re: Baby its cold outside

Well, thats kind of cutting it close. Under 45 isnt really reomended, and esp. not when it is damp.

I have had the cleaner/waxes work ok at that temp. I might be inclined to just wash, clay, cleaner/wax. The other stuff can get a bit smeary.

If you had sun all day it would be better, but cloudy, I just dunno.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You can wash and clay your car in those temps. It does take a little more effort to dry, though. The clay works the same in every temperature (for me).

Waxes are a different story. I've applied waxes when it is really cold. Believe me, it isn't fun. I applied GC wax and it took me forever to remove it. Applying it was easy, but the wax wanted to smear even though the wax was thoroughly dry.

My suggestion, wait until it warms up a little or borrow a heated garage. I wait until it is usually above 50 degress to wax. Otherwise, the waxes smear or take forever to dry. Until it gets above 50, you might want to consider waxing using a spray wax.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

MediaMan just wait dude.

i mean it was nice all week, sunny, some people wearing shorts, and then today it snows? wtf. so mad.

couple more weeks.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');