• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post-Northeast storm: can ice scratch??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Northeast storm: can ice scratch??!

Hi all,

I have a new (2-month old) car thats a daily driver, sits outside. We just had a lot of freezing rain/snow here in NJ... As the car heats, it melts the ice, and the whole thing slides off.

I looked at my car's hood today and there are VERY visible scratches going front-to-back (or vice versa) up to 2ft on the hood. maybe 5 medium scratches, and the biggest one i can feel w/ my fingernail.

I haven't yet bought a PC (I think I will)... will #83 fix this?

Thanks in advance
    -Saleem
    07 Honda Accord... learning how to make it shine

Re: Post-Northeast storm: can ice scratch??!

Yes, ice can scratch your paint.

Depending on how deep the scratches are, #80, #83, or even scratch-x could remove them.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

If the car is dirty, or there is some tree stuff that came down with the snow, an ice sheet sliding off can put some deep scratches in your car (don't ask me how I know ).

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
        If the car is dirty, or there is some tree stuff that came down with the snow, an ice sheet sliding off can put some deep scratches in your car (don't ask me how I know ).
        ah, that *****. no there was no tree stuff, and the car wasn't very dirty at all.. just some winter grime.

anyway, i was upset cuz its a horrible start for my car!! I'll hopefully get a PC within a month and start working. is it alright to do work in the sun since I dont have a free garage/carpark? Should I wait for 6pm or something... is there any work i can do during the normal sunlight hours?
        -Saleem
        07 Honda Accord... learning how to make it shine

Comment

That winter grime....all you need are a few pieces of grit on the paint..locked in the ice...and slid across the surface with the weight of the ice on top...

Working in the sun isn't too bad this time of year when it's fairly cool.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');