• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Dusters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Dusters?

I was at my dads yesterday checking out what supplies he had on hand and noticed he had a California Duster that looked like it must have dusted all of California. He said he had two more that looked about the same, but still seemed to work fine.
    1. How can you tell when it's time to clean them?
    2. How do you clean them?

Re: Cleaning Dusters?

I would like to join you on this one, been windering the same
    Got a Gold Class microfibre duster on the way..
    Arctic Detailing - Northern Norway
    Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12239962147393

1996´AUDI S6 AVANT QUATTRO
    00`S6 tip 92´S4q, 97´S6q, 97´A4q, 02´A4q, 76´ Audi50

Comment

We have several CA Dusters that are old and dirty. One is about 18 years old and almost black. They all still work fine.

I think the original instructions said washing was not necessary or recommended, but if you felt you needed to wash it, Woolite was suggested for a soap.

These are the yarn type and I have no idea about the MF duster care. It probably will tell you in the instructions that come with it.
      Charles
      The Rainmaker

Comment

Thanks. I just came from the store stocking up on supplies and noticed they had one in stock. Instructions said the dirtier it gets the better it works so that confirms your experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161 View Post
          Thanks. I just came from the store stocking up on supplies and noticed they had one in stock. Instructions said the dirtier it gets the better it works so that confirms your experience as well.
          This could get to be a touchy subject since I'm not familiar with the Meguiar's dusters, but....
          The wood handle CA Duster has larger and longer strands of yarn than the plastic handle ones sold at Wal*Mart and some auto supply stores. If you can see them side by side, the difference is quite obvious. The plastic handle ones may be fine, but I have never owned one.

We have two of the regular wood handle CA Duster and one of the "Super Dusters". The Super Duster is slightly larger and the yarn is all around the wood handle. Kind of like the Meg's spoke brush has the bristles all the way around.
          If the mods would prefer that the merits of the CA Duster not be discussed here, I'll not post any more comments.
          Charles
          The Rainmaker

Comment

I don't know if this is correct but I was told to never clean them. They are treated with paraffin wax which is what traps and lifts the dust off the surface of the car. I would think if this coating is cleaned or washed off the duster strands then you are pushing the dirt off instead of lifting it off the surface, which can mare the surface of the car finish. I have had two dusters for ever and they still do the job

Comment

I've got both the Meguiars duster and the competing brand and prefer the handle on the former as it can be reversed for different angles. The Meguairs duster doesn't seem to be as thoroughly impregnated with parafin as the CA model and works as well or better. The CA duster takes a long time to get to the point where it doesn't leave residue behind.....leastwise in my experience.

Mort

Comment

Originally posted by Mort Corey View Post
                The CA duster takes a long time to get to the point where it doesn't leave residue behind.....leastwise in my experience.

Mort
                That seems to be the case with the ones available now. I don't remamber it being much of a problem with the ones we have, but my "newest" one is probably 12 years old.
                It is often recommended to leave them in or on a newspaper for a few days to let the newspaper absorb some of the excess paraffin.

As far as washing them, this is lifted from their site.:
                Originally posted by CA Car Duster
                How do I clean my Duster?
                Answer Because of a special permanently baked in paraffin treatment, The Original California Dusters are made to provide years of effective service without the need for cleaning. Simply shake them out before and after each use. The "dirtier" they get the better they work.

If you find it necessary to clean your Duster because it is too dirty or if the Duster stops lifting dust, it can be washed. You may hand wash your Duster in cold water with a mild detergent such as Woolite, then air dry. Do not use hot water to wash or hot air to dry, as heat or harsh detergent may remove the special paraffin treatment.
                FWIW, mine have never been washed.
                Charles
                The Rainmaker

Comment

I bought my first duster back in 93. Still use it to this day. Never have washed it. Just shake it out when its done. You are good to go. At least this is my experience.
                  Last edited by J. A. Michaels; Mar 23, 2007, 03:22 AM.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

I keep mine well-sealed when not in use, and when I do use it I shake it out periodically as I go around the car, and give it an extra-good shake at the end of the job before packing it back away. =)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');