• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy, Detailing questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy, Detailing questions!

In the next couple of weeks Im going to really start detailing my truck again, Im fairly new to the waxing/polishing, and it will be my first time clay baring. I plan to due everything by hand since I do not have a buffer and have no experience with one. I have alot of spider webs and swirl marks in my clear coat that I want to remove badly. I plan to purchase and use in this order:

1) Wash
    2) Clay Bar kit w/ quick detailer lubricator
    3) Scratch X
    4) Gold Class wax or should i go for NXT?

How does this procedure sound? Should I use a polish right after the Scratch-X step or is Scratch-X considered a polish? Im mainly concerned about removing all the swirl marks and spider webs but also leaving a brilliant shine and protection. What is the best way each application be applied with? What I have so far is: microfiber towels, terry cloths, 2 foam applicator pads, polishing cloth, a detailer mitt, and big chamois.

Secondly, I usually always go through the automatic car wash first, (pull in and makes two passes around with soap, then two with high pressure water, and then finally spot free rinse) There is no buffers at the end or any drying just a simple pull in. I was wandering if this would be the best way to wash my truck before I detail it? Once I get it detailed should I keep going through the automatic car wash or wash it by hand? I want the wax to stay on my truck for as long as possible and I hope theres nothing against using automatic car washes? I like them for their pressure and seem to take more stuff off than pulling in a bay and spraying off by hand.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, Im a freak when it comes to keeping my truck clean
    98 QC Ram 5.9L 360
    Catback duals 2.5" into 3.5" chrome tips
    Edelbrock Proflow 1002

Re: New guy, Detailing questions!

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by JTeg360 View Post
    In

1) Wash
    2) Clay Bar kit w/ quick detailer lubricator
    3) Scratch X
    4) Gold Class wax

How does this procedure sound? Should I use a polish right after the Scratch-X step or is Scratch-X considered a polish?

Im mainly concerned about removing all the swirl marks and spider webs but also leaving a brilliant shine and protection. What is the best way each application be applied with? What I have so far is: microfiber towels, terry cloths, 2 foam applicator pads, a detailer mitt, and big chamois.
    Your process will work great.

ScratchX is a dedicated paint cleaner, there is usually confusion in the world over the word polish as some people think it means a product with abrasives in it, Meguiar's has been around longer than just about anyone so our terms or words for our products are unique to us but at the same time they set a standard that others either copy or confuse people over.

What you want to do is to,

Wash --> Remove loose surface dirt
    Clay --> Remove above surface bonded contaminants
    Clean --> Remove below surface defects
    Polish --> Optional --> Maximize gloss, depth and clarity
    Protect --> Apply the wax

If you haven't already, give this a read...

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    (Posted in the The Information Station)

Also this one...

Which products need to dry before removing?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the help, Ive read most of those already. My question is still....

Secondly, I usually always go through the automatic car wash first, (pull in and makes two passes around with soap, then two with high pressure water, and then finally spot free rinse) There is no buffers at the end or any drying just a simple pull in. I was wandering if this would be the best way to wash my truck before I detail it? Once I get it detailed should I keep going through the automatic car wash or wash it by hand? I want the wax to stay on my truck for as long as possible and I hope theres nothing against using automatic car washes? I like them for their pressure and seem to take more stuff off than pulling in a bay and spraying off by hand.

What is the best way each application be applied with? What I have so far is: microfiber towels, terry cloths, 2 foam applicator pads, polishing cloth, a detailer mitt, and big chamois.

And...

Should I use Gold Class or NXT Tech wax? Which one is considered the better wax?

Thanks!
      98 QC Ram 5.9L 360
      Edelbrock Proflow 1002

Comment

Meant to answer the second part of your question, sorry for the delay, was busy in PM's, E-mails and phone calls.

Here's the skinny...

After you do all the work to apply all those products and work your finish up to a high gloss shine, you're going to want to do everything you can to preserve these results and keep in mind,

"A clear coat finish is a thin delicate coating that is easily dulled and easily scratched; once the surface is dulled and scratched, it will require the right products and the correct techniques plus the human elements of care and passion to remove the defects and restore a deep wet shine"

The best way to wash your car is to hand wash it using a high quality wash mitt with a high quality, high lubricity, non-detergent car wash soap with plenty of rinse water before, during and after the washing process.

You want to avoid detergent soaps and any type of brush or mitt that could instill swirls and scratches into the finish.

Taking your car to a car wash is perfectly fine, as long as you are in control of the washing process with your chemicals and your washing tools.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Which wax should I use, NXT or Gold Class and whats the different between both?
          98 QC Ram 5.9L 360
          Edelbrock Proflow 1002

Comment

Gold Class is a carnuba blend, and is rich in polishing oils.

Nxt is entirely synthetic, and Meguiars says it is their most durable wax.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');