• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Getting Back Up To Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Getting Back Up To Speed

Hi Guys (and Gals)!

I've been away from this for a while and need your help understanding the additions to the Meguiar's line. Been reading all the posts, and I'll limit my questions to the Professional Line, and just the polish/wax part (I'm clear on the wash and clay part). In "my day" (mid to late 80's), clear coat was new, and it seemed pretty straightforward. Meguiar's had just come out with their Professional Hi-Tech products for clear coat, and if you had a new or well maintained finish, you hit it with some #7 (Sealer and Reseal Glaze, in those days), and protected it with some #26 Yellow Wax. If the finish needed a little cleaning, you used #9 before the wax, and if it needed more cleaning, you used #2 (which in those days was labeled for hand use also), followed by #9 to remove the swirls from the #2, and then waxed.

Now I've got myself a PC, and am trying to fix up a lotta years worth of bird ****, acid rain, and swirls on an '88 and '90 GM clear coat finish. It looks to me like the "modern" approach is the Body Shop products, starting with the #83 if it's really bad, the #80 if it's just bad, #82 if it's not too bad, possibly shining it up with #81 before waxing.

Does that sound about right? I realize there are a jillion variables, with the consumer and DC products, what you can get locally, etc., not to mention vehicle condition, but am I getting the drift?

sounds like you are on the right path. Really Bad 83/82/wax or sealant of choice #26 is still awesome by the way. You probably want to use a cutting pad for the 83, then a polishing pad for the 82, and finally a finishing pad for the wax or sealant. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');