• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st wax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st wax question

Hi,
    I just purchased a '07 nissan 350z and was preparing to give the first coat of wax in the next few weeks and wondered what product I should use. It has a hard clear coat outer layer and in the past I have always used yellow wax #26 paste for my vehicles with good results. I was wanting to switch to the #26 yellow liquid, I believe the #26 to be clear coat safe, but do I need additional prep before waxing? I was thinking about the new car glaze #5? Also for bug/tar removal, can anyone suggest a product which would work without damaging the top clear coat? In the past I have actually waxed first with the liguid #26, then applied a 2nd wax using the paste #26, under the assumption the paste was some amount more durable while the liguid provided a higher gloss. Is this correct, and would it again be desireable?
    Thanks
    joe

Re: 1st wax question

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Let's hope the dealership didn't buff the car out as a favor to you.

Originally posted by wja001 View Post
    Hi,
    I just purchased a '07 nissan 350z and was preparing to give the first coat of wax in the next few weeks and wondered what product I should use. It has a hard clear coat outer layer and in the past I have always used yellow wax #26 paste for my vehicles with good results. I was wanting to switch to the #26 yellow liquid, I believe the #26 to be clear coat safe, but do I need additional prep before waxing?
    Wash and dry the car and then pull the car into bright sunlight and look for excessive swirls in the paint.

Also feel the paint with your clean hand, it should feel smooth and glossy, if you feel little bumps you'll need to clay.

Assuming you don't have any swirls or bonded contaminants on the paint, then after washing and drying you can go straight to wax.

Hi,

I was thinking about the new car glaze #5?
    New Car Glaze is a pure polish that dries fast and white in humid climates, it got it's name when it came out in the 1950's for new acrylic lacquer paint back then.

You would be happier with one of these,
    • Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    • Deep Crystal Polish
    • ScratchX
    • #9 Swirl Remover 2.0
    • #7 Show Car Glaze
    • #81 Hand Polish

To apply just one of the above products after washing and before applying wax will insure a clean and highly polished surface before waxing.

I just purchased a '07 nissan 350z and was preparing to give the first coat of
    Also for bug/tar removal, can anyone suggest a product which would work without damaging the top clear coat?
    Believe it or not, any of the above products if applied to road tar and using a little rubbing with a clean cloth should help to loosen and remove any tar build up. We also make a dedicated Tar & Bug remover that is safe for clear coat paints.

In the past I have actually waxed first with the liquid #26, then applied a 2nd wax using the paste #26, under the assumption the paste was some amount more durable while the liquid provided a higher gloss. Is this correct, and would it again be desirable?

Thanks
    joe

In the Meguiar's brand of products there is no difference between our paste and liquid waxes except the form in which they come in. Some people see a difference and have a personal preference and they may share that with you in this thread.

Hope this helps...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

1. Additional prep woudlnt hurt. Just because the car is new, does not mean that it is clean.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

As far as additional prep work, there are two basic plans of action to cover the 5 steps mentioned above.

1. Wash - Quality soap, sponges, 2-bucket system, Grit Guards, etc.
      2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay kit
      3. Clean - Deep Crystal #1 would be a good choice by hand
      4. Polish - Either Deep Crystal #2 or Show Car Glaze #7 would be best. #5 is for high humidity environments like the tropics.
      5. Wax - 2 coats of your favorite wax

or:

1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. ColorX - a nice cleaner/wax that will cover the 3-5 steps all in one.
      4. Wax - 1 or 2 coats of your favorite wax. 1 would be ok since ColorX also has wax in it.

Doing each individual step will give better results, but if you are short on time, ColorX is a great way to speed things up.

2. Bug and tar remover is tough. To be safe, they have to be gentle, and to be gentle, they are annoying to use. Meguairs makes 2 that are good. The Turtle Wax one is useless. The RainX Gel B&G remover intrigues me. To be effective, it is best to let the remover soak into the bug/tar for a few moments, so the gel should make that easier.

3. Both liquid and paste waxes are the same, just different forms. A better gloss will come from good surface prep, and using a a pure polish like #7 or DC#2.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Here you go...

Gold Class-Bug Tar Remover

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks to Mike Phillips and Murr1525 for the replies and information, it was most helpful. I plan gathering everything I need and plan out a Sat.
          thanks again
          joe

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');