• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing overspray that clay won't remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing overspray that clay won't remove?

I clayed the A6 today, and the result was amazing. Didn't believe the paint was that dirty even after washing and using tar remover!

But - I have some red overspray of unknown origin on the left rear corner of the car. It's on the rear window, rear side window, trim, fender and hatch. Clay removed some of it, but far from all. How can I remove the rest? The picture shows the worst spot, the rest is far from that bad, but like I said, clay did not remove it all.. I'm somewhat experienced with wet sanding, but I just wanted to know if there's a trick that will remove it without sacrificing too much of the clear coat..

(and yes, I know the paint has got lots of swirls etc., but I bought this car last October, and living here and not having a heated garage makes exterior detailing more than a simple wash almost impossible from November to March - just)

And here's a picture of the car after claying. The paint is pretty nice, what you see "on" the door is just dust and reflections. The lower door trim is removed to clean and wax behind them. Now it's time to bring out the buffer and accessories, but that'll be next week. Leaving tomorrow for work at a ski resort a few days..
    '96 Audi A6 quattro
    '77 Audi 100 LS
    '78 Skoda 120GLS

Re: Removing overspray that clay won't remove?

The most basic answer is apply more passion with the gentle clay that you have, or get a more agressive clay.

I'd give the clay you have one more shot... really focus on area at a time, not wiping back and forth in big areas. Think of it almost like using an eraser on one spot, and see if it helps any.

Keep in mind, starting to apply more pressure, or using more agressive clays, can cause swirls. Since you still plan to do swirl-removing steps with a machine, thats not really a problem.

You can try claying the glass/trim as well.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I tried claying even more, and after lots of work, most of it came off. I had to "assist" with 2500-grade sanding paper on the worst spots, but now it's gone. It came a lot easier off the glass than the paint - and now both the paint and the glass is smooooth..
      '96 Audi A6 quattro
      '77 Audi 100 LS
      '78 Skoda 120GLS

Comment

Were you able to remove the sanding marks, and any marring from the clay easily enough?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Congrats, Can't wait to see the a6 all shined up.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I did a car last summer with whiteoverspray on the entire car and it took me 8 hours to remove it
            Detailing cars is a form of art. Most appreciate it, few possess the required skill and even fewer understand it.

Comment

I just did a quick pass with #84 and a cutting pad on the rotary, and as far as I could see, all the sanding marks went away easy. I've done this a few times before on other cars, but never because of overspray.

Arne: 8 hours? I guess you were kinda tired when finished.. I spent about 8 hours removing swirls and scratches from my previous car, and I sure felt it in my arms. The Makita rotary is heavy to handle and use after a few hours..
              '96 Audi A6 quattro
              '77 Audi 100 LS
              '78 Skoda 120GLS

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');