• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIG mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG mistake

OK, here's the deal.
    It's been 46 days since i got my Onyx black S-10 back from the paint shop after it was nailed with a hail storm. They did a great job, and i want to keep my new paint looking that way. After the 30 day wait-period, i wanted to detail the truck to remove all the swirls and to protect it. My brother has always used fine cut cleaner with a rotary buffer on hos white car, so i figured it was ok for my paint. After putting fine cut on my paint with my cheap wal-mart orbital buffer, and a wool cutting pad, i had a gazillion swirls, and some very milky black paint.

So here's what i tried.
    Thinking all foam pads are the same, i bought the turtlewax foam bonnet for my buffer. Put on DC paint cleaner by hand, put 3 applications of DC polish on with the foam bonnet & after cleaning the pad, put one application of #7. Then i washed the pad again and put on a coat of GC wax, and then 12 hours later, another coat by hand. I must say the paint looks good, but it still has many swirls. ScratchX isn't really helping me for some reason, and i just want a good combo of a bonnet and a product that will help me.
    Sorry I have no pics.
    The buffer i have is about 2800 OPM. I can't afford a PC because i'm only 17 years old, and to pay 250 for a buffer is out of the question. If i could rent one, maybe that'd be something...

They're small, normal looking swirls, so i don't undestand why ScratchX isn't helping.

I know this is a ton to read, and is a pain to think about, but imagine what i've been going through!

I have a feeling that Meguiars hasn't let me down yet.
    WARNING! Eye protection must be worn when looking at my car in direct sunlight. Can cause temporary blindness.

OUCH ! Sorry to hear of your bad situation. The way it sounds to me is you are going to need someone with a rotary and skills to correct the finish. Sounds like you scoured the finish with the fine cut and the orbital since the product was unable to breakdown.

I woul say you will need a rotary, a polishing pad some #83 and someone with rotary experience to do it correctly. You may even need something more agressive depending on how deep the swirls are.

Can you post a picture ?
    If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Re: BIG mistake

Originally posted by Xtreme99_s-Dime

ScratchX isn't really helping me for some reason, and i just want a good combo of a bonnet and a product that will help me.

They're small, normal looking swirls, so i don't undestand why ScratchX isn't helping.
      I'm not sure of your application method for scratchx but read this..ScratchX link

I've tried scratchx before with limited results. Your problem might be too much for scratrchx's capabilities. Not necessarily a bad product just the wrong product for what you need.

Comment

This sounds like a job for a PC. A PC with DACP would at least smooth the edges of the swirls. You could probably get one for much less that what you think. I bought mine at a Lowes for 109$. I am 17 also and it was my B-day present .

Anyway just remember:

sorry for the cheap MS paint lol
        I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
        Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

LOL

I love the anti-turtlewax pic.

I wasn't aware that Scratch X is upposed to be rubbed on for that long..3-4 minutes?

Another question.......could i use scratchX with my buffer, or is that more bad news?

Thanks for any help
          WARNING! Eye protection must be worn when looking at my car in direct sunlight. Can cause temporary blindness.

Comment

Product was designed for application by hand. The pitfall of using a buffer would be gumming up the product.

Comment

Hi Xtreme99_s-Dime,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I'm sorry to read about your results. #2 Fine Cut Cleaner is rotary buffer product only. Your brother's car probably has some of the same problems, you just can't see it on white paint.

What you can and cannot do is going to be determined by the hardness of your paint. As others have pointed out, the easy cure would be to re-buff using either a PC or a Rotary to remove the defects and restore gloss, clarity and smoothness.

If that is not an option, then try the ScratchX using the procedures outlined in my how-to article. Remember, only work a small section at a time, like 6 to 10 inches and when moving to another section, overlap into the previous section.

I would try this, apply the ScratchX to one small section on a flat panel such as the hood. Then apply the polish, like Deep Crystal Polish, then apply the Tech Wax. Then, inspect your results. If it looks good, continue to repeat this to the rest of the finish. If it doesn't work, then were back to a machine process.

Check out the pictures I just posted here,

Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Swirl Removal

Note two things,

1) This car had a lot of swirls and because of this a very hazy finish

2) All products, including ScratchX were applied by hand.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

sorry, i have no digital camera, and it would be at least a week for me to take, develop, print, scan snd then post pics.

Comment

ok, I have no problem doing it by hand, it's just gonna save me alot of time if i could get my hands on a PC. Maybe i'll try both.

Comment

if i use the method for applying scratchX as decribed in the above atricle, am i going to use more than one whole tube of ScratchX to do the entire body?

Comment

MAN, if i could get a PC for $109, i would buy it tomorrow!

In fact, I'm gonna go shopping tomorrow morning.

Comment

I just was in Lowes last night and I found a PC there for $109.00. It came with one 6" backing plate so you would have to buy your backing plate and pads from Meguiar's. Check Lowes.
                        Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Comment

Sweet, i'm going to check it out today!

Comment

Originally posted by Xtreme99_s-Dime
                            if i use the method for applying scratchX as described in the above article, am i going to use more than one whole tube of ScratchX to do the entire body?
                            Probably. gbackus and I used almost an entire tube of ScratchX rubbing out the 1958 Mercedes-Benz and the results were worth it.
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

ok, i think this one's for Mike.

I found the PC at my Lowe's and was about to buy it, but then i relized the one that costs so much is the 7424, not the one i was looking at. The one i saw was $109, and was like number 633 something. What's the difference? Is this a dual action, or just an orbital?

Also, I found the meguiars backing plate for using their 8 inch pads, will this fit on the PC, or do i need one from 3M? I think it was #W65. Please set me straight, all these model numbers are horibbly confusing.

Thanks,

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');