• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handy Buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy Buffer

Yesterday my friend gave this to me. He said he found it at work and they didn't want it, so he gave it to his car detailing friend, ME!! It's a Black and Decker Handy Buffer. On the side it says 120V, .7 amps. It doesn't have speed control....or else I'm not seeing it lol. It looks like it's just on or off. I looked around on the internet and found out that it is a 7" random orbit polisher. I turned it on and it works...and sure enough it's random orbit as well. I have never used a buffer before and I guess I was wondering if this is similar to a PC, or is it not as powerful? Could it be used to actually polish cars (with 80 or 83) or is this supposed to just be for applying wax? Hopefully someone can give me some more info on this thing. Thanks so much!!

Re: Handy Buffer

Forgot the pics!!

Comment

My family gave me one of those in the early 90's. I personally used it three times. Thought there was a learning curve to it. It was okay if you had low goals. Not powerful enough to remove swirls, scratches, etc. If all you wanted to do is buff out your wax, it will do. Overall, it was ok. If you waxed your vehicle every three months and that was the extent of your passion.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

At 0.7A it has less than a fifth of the power of a PC and it's trying to swing a bigger pad so it won't really be able to remove any significant paint defects.

It should be OK for spreading products that only need to be applied onto a finish rather than worked into a finish.

Rotary vs PC vs Regular Orbital Buffer

PC.

Comment

I'd eventually like to buy a PC. Should I keep this around just for wax application/removal or should I do both with a PC when I get one?

Comment

There are two problems with cheapo buffers. Power and pad selection. Even if it was powerful enough, you won't be using the right pad for the job because you won't find foam pads for it. Its only really good for wax application.

Comment

Originally posted by buckshot333 View Post
              I'd eventually like to buy a PC. Should I keep this around just for wax application/removal or should I do both with a PC when I get one?

Keep it around if you can find good pads (as yakky mentioned this may not be easy) for it you could use it to apply a wax but as stated above not a whole lot of power there. I do know if you get a PC you will hand this buffer off to someone else, there will be no comparison!
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Before I bought my g100 I checked with B+D they did not make them anymore. Good luck in your search.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Another orbital question...

Here is the end all orbital answer response:

Orbitals are very easy to use, but they do not offer a high level of defect removing power. They are great to use for applying and removing waxes. They can also be used for some 'light' cleaning ability - you can remove some very minor swirls with it.

Pads or bonnets?
                  Orbitals don't use pads. They have a permanent pad that you attach bonnets to. Only use terry cloth and foam bonnets. DO NOT use wool bonnets - not enough power, again. The terry cloth bonnets can be used for everything. The foam bonnets work great for applying waxes, but don't try any cleaners or polishes. I've seen orbitals modified to use Soft Buff pads, but I've never tried it myself.

Orbital or by hand?
                  From my experience, doing a car with an orbital is much easier. You will achieve some slightly better results with an orbital than by hand. If you already have an orbital, use it. I only suggest an orbital if a PC is out of your budget or you are just starting a small scale detailing business. For those weekend warriors who don't want to pay for a PC, an orbital isn't all that bad. Orbitals save time and make applying waxes a little easier.

Defect removal?
                  The orbital is only powerful enough to remove minor defects. Period.

What products can I use?
                  -All waxes, sealants, and cleaner waxes
                  -all polishes
                  -#80, DC1, #2 (most aggressive), and #9 DO NOT TRY ANYTHING MORE AGGRESSIVE
                  -PlastX

Please, search for previous posts before bringing this topic up!
                  Chris
                  Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                    At 0.7A it has less than a fifth of the power of a PC and it's trying to swing a bigger pad so it won't really be able to remove any significant paint defects.

It should be OK for spreading products that only need to be applied onto a finish rather than worked into a finish.

Rotary vs PC vs Regular Orbital Buffer

PC.

SYDSTER

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');