• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Stage Paint & Oxidation ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Stage Paint & Oxidation ??

At one of the car lots where I do some work there is a late 80's diesel truck - blue, but severly oxidized. The owner of the lot said he had a shop detail it when he first got it several months back and it looked pretty good, but within about a month the paint was chalky again.

I used a foam pad and some 83 to test a spot yesterday, and the oxidation came off very easily - along with blue paint, which means it's single stage paint.

My question is, if I clean and polish this truck for the dealer and get it looking good (which wouldn't be the issue) what can I do to prevent it from going back to the same way in a month or two? Would 21 seal it and keep it for a while? I just don't know why it would turn so quickly after it was done before. I don't want to spend the time and he doesn't want to spend the money again if there's nothing that can prevent this from happening again so soon.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: Single Stage Paint & Oxidation ??

SS paint needs to be maintained much more than CC finishes. Maybe it there wasn't wax applied, or a poor one. A good coat or two of wax should help keep it looking good.

Comment

Does it look bad overall? Is the paint just plain failing or anything? Failing paint can be have like that.

Maybe you can do a fender and door for him properly, and wait a few months to do the rest.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

This is my Acura Legend that I am beginning to have a problem with the paint.
        Here's another pic showing my rooftop.

Is there anything that can be done. I posted a question in a previous post under clear coat failure. I wanted to show the pics in order to decide. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bravo659 View Post
          This is my Acura Legend that I am beginning to have a problem with the paint.
          Here's another pic showing my rooftop.

Is there anything that can be done. I posted a question in a previous post under clear coat failure. I wanted to show the pics in order to decide. Thanks!
          You should have started you own thread, not taken over someone else's.
          Anyways, That is CC failure and the only way to fix it is a repainting of the area.

Comment

I wasn't trying to take over your thread, I just wanted to show you my problem to get a feedback, thats all.
            I appreciate for your feeback, Thanks.

Comment

The problem is over the entire vehicle...dull, chalky look to it...like old single stage oxidized paint. That's the only way to describe it.

I did a test spot and I want to see how it does over the next little while. I thought that maybe the shop that did it before didn't put wax on it or used something real cheap. I also thought, "maybe the dealer said it was back oxidized after a month, but it was really four or five months."

I guess the only way to know for sure is to watch the test spot, just thought others might have had more experience or ideas in this sort of situation. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by bravo659 View Post
                I wasn't trying to take over your thread, I just wanted to show you my problem to get a feedback, thats all.
                I appreciate for your feeback, Thanks.
                Not mine, just a little...jumpy? today I guess.

But anyways, your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy99 View Post
                  The problem is over the entire vehicle...dull, chalky look to it...like old single stage oxidized paint. That's the only way to describe it.

I did a test spot and I want to see how it does over the next little while. I thought that maybe the shop that did it before didn't put wax on it or used something real cheap. I also thought, "maybe the dealer said it was back oxidized after a month, but it was really four or five months."

I guess the only way to know for sure is to watch the test spot, just thought others might have had more experience or ideas in this sort of situation. Thanks for the input.
                  I have a thread in the Show-Off section of my SS truck. How does the paint look compared to that. Just trying to get a better visual of it, unless you have pics you could post.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');