• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Mustang Gt Convetible > Needs Help - admin move to detailing 101 please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Mustang Gt Convetible > Needs Help - admin move to detailing 101 please :)

Hi All,

New to the forums, and seeking advice on where to start. I found this site looking to color sand my entire car, but with the results I've seen here maybe I can get away with claying and lots of polishing.

The car was painted about 5 years ago with a clear coat paint.The previous owner says that no paint comes off when it's waxed, so I'm guessing the clears still there?

I will add my proccess to the extreme makeovers when complete, I love looking through that section. Anyway, any advice will be greatly appreciated. (Oh it will be hand polished to if that makes a diffrence) Here are some pics,

Last edited by Jake; Apr 29, 2007, 12:40 PM. Reason: wrong section

Re: 1986 Mustang Gt Convetible > Needs Help - admin move to detailing 101 please

that looks like single stage to me, especially with the chalkyness on the hood. Have you tried using cleaner wax and a white terrycloth to see if the paint comes off?

Comment

Re: 1986 Mustang Gt Convetible > Needs Help - admin move to detailing 101 please

Looks like a job for ColorX perhaps.
      "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Well, working by hand, it will need a good washing, then claying, and then ScratchX. And a lot of it.

The sides can be fixed up with enough effort, but the hood worries me. But if the paint on the hood is too far gone, then sanding wont help either. Just have to do a test spot, and see what happens.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I agree with Murr, Try working the scratch-x in with a LOT of passion, you probably will need to hit each area 3X with scratch X. Follow up the scratch X with #7 or Deep Crystal #2 polish to moisteurize the paint then seal with NXT or #21

Comment

Nice car that could use some TLC! '85 - '86 Fox body Mustangs are my favorites!

IMO opinion, you should first try to restore some liefe and color to the paint, then you can deal with other stuff like removing minor swirls and scratches.

Here's some good reading:

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

and then check out my post:

1992 Mustang LX before & after

cheers,

Alex
            Mandarina Racing

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replies, The paint doesn't come off when polished real hard. I've went and got an aersonal of Mequires

Clay kit,
              ScratchX,
              Deep Crystal Step 2,
              and NXT Tech Wax.

But none were strong enough to get through the oxidation without going over it like 10-15 times. So, I got some Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound (They didn't have Mequires) That stuff cut right through on a test area.

I'm going clay the whole car, hit with the rubbing compound and polish her up. I'll keep you guys posted, But this is going to take a while.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');