• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! Masonry paint on hood!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Masonry paint on hood!!!

Hi, my old man wants me to detail his seriously neglected Audi 80. Upon inspection, amongst all the accumulated grime, it seems he has tiny spots of white masonry paint on the hood, courtesy of my neighbor painting his house .
    I began a test spot on the hood today after washing his car with NXT. I briefly tried deep crystal paint cleaner to shift some grime before attempting to clay. It however proved better to go straight into claying with amazing results. By the time I started trying to remove swirls and below surface contaminants with scratch X, I realised I had to give up. The relentless sun had reached its highest point and my shaded work area was no longer shaded and so, my scratch X began to dry on the hood. Well I've got a day off tomorrow, so an early start should enable me to get a lot done. The main issue is how do I get those tiny paint spots off without causing damage?

Re: Help!! Masonry paint on hood!!!

You could try Mineral Spirits, but I think it would be best to stick with the clay.
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Re: Help!! Masonry paint on hood!!!

Ok, I've concentrated my efforts on one tiny spec on the hood. Claying has removed some of the spec, but claying further has had minimal effect. It would appear that the masonry paint has contaminated the paintwork above and below the surface. This would mean claying will only remove the contaminated part above the surface. The spec is noticeably smoother, i.e. by passing your finger nail over it you cannot feel it. I proceeded to use scratchX, and have gone over the area with about 3 applications. The section looks noticeably better but its difficult to tell whether there has been any further removal of the spec. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated.
      Oh yeah, sneek, thanks for the suggestion, i guess white spirit (or mineral spirits in US)would eat away at the masonry paint. Any risk of eating at the clear coat? It would only be so if the paint is solvent based?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');