• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need

Im 19 years old and I just got my truck done from restoreing. I had my friend paint it for me sence thats what he has done his hole life. The paint is calld saddle tan, Ford only had that color for two years ' 70 71' The paint does have clear coat. If you need a photo just let me know.

Now I need to take care of the truck, Wash it, detailling, So can any of you make me a list on what I need to buy so I can wash/detail my truck! I do have the detailling brushes and wheel brushes.

I know this is not the place to ask this but what woud be a good cover to buy for the truck. It will say in side my shop when im not playing with it.

Thanks all for the help and your time
    Get In Sit Down ShutUp

Re: What do I need

Well the first thing I would suggest to get is two buckets and two grit guards to try and keep those swirls and scratches away when your cleaning your truck. Then obviously some soap I prefer gold class. You will also want to get some quality wash mitts like the microfiber. Then get some towels to dry it something like Water Magnets. Then it depends on if you have trim or chrome trim. For that you get gold class trim.
    You also might want to get a good wax and it really depends on what your going to do with your truck and what you want the paint to look like because some waxes are more for protection and some are more for a deeper look but with less protection. To maintain it you can get a couple of Microfibers and some Quick Detailer for in between washes or better yet you can get some UQD.
    I hope i said everything right if im wrong please correct me. Im sure someone more experienced will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvayne9790 View Post
      Well the first thing i would suggest to get is two buckets and two grit guards to try and keep those swirls and scratches away when your cleaning your truck. Then obviously some soap i prefer gold class. You will also want to get some quality wash mitts like the microfiber Then get some towels to dry it something like Water Magnets. Then it depends on if you have trim or chrome trim. For that you get gold class trim.
      You also might want to get a good wax and it really depends on what your going to do with your truck and what you want the paint to look like because some waxes are more for protection and some are more for a deeper look but with less protection. To maintain it you can get a couple of Microfibers and some Quick Detailer for in between washes or better yet you can get some UQD.
      I'll be takeing my truck to shows in arkansas maybe some other states close by. I'll take in to town and drag the strip at night, But other then that its saying in the shop my dad and I put up. The shop it all incloesd so nothing is going to get near it.

Most of my trim is aluminum like the grille and its not all that much. Hear is the befor photo http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...k/1971ford.jpg theres some trim that runs down the bump on the side but that gives you an idea.

Ps what is ""grit guards"" I live all most a mile on a dirt road. So I know about dust and stuff, But when it gets dustey in dry part of the summer that truck is not comeing out of the shop and its staying under a cover if I can find one

I did not think about this but all my trim was old, so we buff for weeks so we put clear coat on that stuff to.
      Get In Sit Down ShutUp

Comment

Originally posted by 1971fordcustom View Post
        Ps what is ""grit guards"" I live all most a mile on a dirt road. So I know about dust and stuff, But when it gets dustey in dry part of the summer that truck is not comeing out of the shop and its staying under a cover if I can find one
        Well a grit guard is a niffty device that keeps dirt off your wash mitt so you don't rub it on the car. If you click on the link it will explain it better lol. Just be sure to use the car cover correctly because if dirt gets trapped inside you will have it rubbing against the paint. I might be wrong on the car cover since ive never had one so someone else might want to chime in, and also on the metal trim I havent dealt with it so I cant really give any advice.

Comment

Im not to worried about the dirt when I wash the truck. Im going to buy me a small Pressure Washer about 1400 psi I don't think that woud be to much psi to take off the paint. Heak what are the ones ar the car washes, If they don't take off paint Im sure 1400 wont.
          Get In Sit Down ShutUp

Comment

Bump

Comment

Well, obviously there is dirt left on the paint even after a pressure washer, or else there would be no need to get out soap and wash the car. So definately get at least one Grit Guard for the rinse water bucket.

Other than that, I assume you are working by hand, and can just go with the usual paint cleaners, polishes and waxes. You will probably need to wait at least 60 days or so before waxing, or whatever is recomended for that paint.

Here are some more links to get you started:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
              Step 1 Wash
              Step 2 Clean
              Step 3 Polish
              Step 4 Protect
              Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

As far as car covers, Covercraft seems pretty top of the line. I have one and it seems hard to make one better.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Im 19 years old and I just got my truck done from restoreing. I had my friend paint it for me sence thats what he has done his hole life. The paint is calld saddle tan, Ford only had that color for two years ' 70 71' The paint does have clear coat. If you need a photo just let me know.

Now I need to take care of the truck, Wash it, detailling, So can any of you make me a list on what I need to buy so I can wash/detail my truck! I do have the detailling brushes and wheel brushes.

I know this is not the place to ask this but what woud be a good cover to buy for the truck. It will say in side my shop when im not playing with it.

Thanks all for the help and your time
                That's the same color as the inside of my truck!

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
                Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                  That's the same color as the inside of my truck!

LOL well what truck do you have! Or you talking about that blue . Its just about a new truck. Only thing I did not mess with is the engine. "IF ITS NOT BROKE DON"T FIX IT" so its the only thing that did not get painted. Well parts of it did.

The paint had been on there over 60 days, It just took my friend some time to get it all wet sanded and buffd. When ya have a wife like he does its hard for him to do 40 things at once lol so it took him longer. The guy is in his 60s and body work is the only thing he has ever done. He's only 3 miles from me so if I need help washing it I'll just call him lol.

Thanks all for the great help, Now I get to play with my moms paint on her truck that way I can get the hang of this stuff

Thanks all
                  Get In Sit Down ShutUp

Comment

86 F150 with Saddle Tan on the inside and Metallic Brown on the outside.

I would love to see some pictures of your truck!

Comment

"IF ITS NOT BROKE DON"T FIX IT"
                      My wife has a saying about me... it goes like this...

If it ain't broke... fix it till it is...
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

LOL thats what my mom tells my dad!

When my truck is all done I'll put some photos of my truck on the site. I hate people seeing when its not all done
                        Get In Sit Down ShutUp

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');