• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#80 on new car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #80 on new car?

Guys,

I'll be purchasing around $400 on Meguiars product in January when the G110 hits the market. I'm planning on getting #80, #7 and NXT 2.0 plus
    pad, mitts, bonnets and microfibers towells. For a new finish possibly one month old from build date, Can I use the #80 instead of the #7 for a swirls free finish or would you recommend the #7? I've just ordered my BMW which will be built in Feb and delivered to me in Mar 08. How often would you recommend stripping the old wax and starting the process over again?

Thanks again,
    Ron

Re: #80 on new car?

#80 would be perfectly fine if you feel the need to use it, meaning if there are in perfections in the finish. You can read through this for a more detailed explanations from the experts.

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How often can you #80/#83 in car lifetime?

SYDSTER

Comment

You can sure use #80, wonderful product.

But I suggest not jumping ahead and see how your car looks when you have it. Then you'll have to make a decision on what product you should use.

Comment

Originally posted by wig View Post
        Guys,

I'll be purchasing around $400 on Meguiars product in January when the G110 hits the market. I'm planning on getting #80, #7 and NXT 2.0 plus
        pad, mitts, bonnets and microfibers towells. For a new finish possibly one month old from build date, Can I use the #80 instead of the #7 for a swirls free finish or would you recommend the #7? I've just ordered my BMW which will be built in Feb and delivered to me in Mar 08. How often would you recommend stripping the old wax and starting the process over again?

Thanks again,
        Ron
        1. #7 has no cleaners or abrasives in it, it is just a pure polish. #80 is a mild cleaner/polish, so will be able to rmove some swirls, and clean the dirt from the paint. So if you paint is swirled, or at least dirty, #80 would be the choice. Then #7 would be an optional step to follow up with, then wax.

2. You really dont want to look at it as stripping wax, that usualy leads to people washing their car with dishsoap. I mean, if the wax is good enough to stay bonded to the paint for a long time, great, leave it. What you want to do is give your car a good detail starting off, wash/clay/clean/polish/wax, then get a look and feel for what that paint is like. Then just pay attention to your car. After future washes, notice if it feels less slick, notice if the quick detailing sprays dont go on quite as easy after a wash, or just notice the looks in general. Then re-do it when you feel it has 'degraded' past your liking.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Since your paint "should" be imperfection free, why not use #9? It is the mildest I believe of the cleaner/polishes and will do the job of stripping anything BMW might have applied to the paint.
          Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning View Post
            Since your paint "should" be imperfection free, why not use #9? It is the mildest I believe of the cleaner/polishes and will do the job of stripping anything BMW might have applied to the paint.
            Good answer, perfect way to clean and polish the paint that should be in perfect condition to start with.

One of the worst horror stories repeated on this forum and other forums is the one where you pick up your brand new car and the Dealership has their in-house detailer either wash the car or wash the car and buff it out both of which you don't want.

It can sound a little overboard but it's historically accurate that in most cases when you get your car washed and or wash and buffed at most dealerships you're going to get what we call DISO or the Dealer Installed Swirl Option.

When this happens, it forces most people to learn how to remove swirls from their car's paint because you can't really take the car back to where the problem started and hope they can do it right the second time.

Might want to contact your dealership and request that the car NOT be washed or detailed in any way. In fact, if you can be on location when it's removed from the transportation truck and right after it's backed off the trailer, take possession of it you would be reducing the potential greatly for DISO.

FWIW
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wig...what color?
              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Might want to contact your dealership and request that the car NOT be washed or detailed in any way. In fact, if you can be on location when it's removed from the transportation truck and right after it's backed off the trailer, take possession of it you would be reducing the potential greatly for DISO.
                Also a great idea. When I bought my car this summer, it must have been sitting in their dirty back lot for a while cause it was just covered in dust and mud. But i could see in the few shiny spots that it was pretty swirl free. They thought I was crazy for telling them not to wash it. Must have asked me to repeat it 3 or 4 times...
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  They thought I was crazy for telling them not to wash it.

Must have asked me to repeat it 3 or 4 times...
                  That's funny but not surprising.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

wig, if needed #80 is just about the best paint cleaner there is. Very easy to use and results are outstanding. If you don't have swirls then do like was suggested and get some #9. You really need to read on here as much as possible and I highly suggest getting the DVD that Mike and Octane Guy did.

Oh, can you imagine what car lots would look like if everyone who bought a car was as educated as we are on here. There would be a lot full of dirty cars because they would be to scared to wash them. LOL!!!!!

Tic

Comment

Thanks guys for all your support and suggestions, I really appreciate all the responses. The color will be Titanium silver and I have instructed the
                      dealer not to wash, wax or dry.

Ron

Comment

Would it be ok to apply #9 by hand on a new finish or should I
                        break out the PC?

Thanks,
                        Ron

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');