• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used PlastX on a Video Game Disc??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used PlastX on a Video Game Disc??

The bottle of PlastX mentions use on a "scratched CD surface". I saw a couple posts of people doing this with CD's and DVD's. I'm wondering if this can include video games??

I bought a "used" PS1 game. PS1 game discs were "black surfaced" discs. The discs have minor scratches and they SKIP through entire cutscenes at a time! (Before anyone asks, my PS2 console is clean, it's not the unit, it's the disc).

ALL video game discs state to clean with soft, dry cloth, and not to use "solvents or abrasive cleaners". I did the soft, dry cloth several times, with no success. The game can't be returned. So......has anyone used PlastX on a black surfaced PS1 disc?? PLEASE share your results with me!!!

Re: Anyone used PlastX on a Video Game Disc??

I used it on a PS2 game and it worked for me. Tired about 6 times to play the game but it wouldn't start, the surface of the disc had a bunch of light scratches and a few deep ones. Figured I didn't have anything to lose since the game wouldn't play anyway. It cleared up the lighter ones but didn't get rid of the deep ones, however it was good enough to make the game work.
    Scott

Comment

I use it on music disks all the time. MAKE sure you dont rub in the product WITH the grain of the disk, I rub in with finger in circular motion and wipe off with a MF towel opposite of the tracks. The laser can penetrate scratches, but if they are parallel with the scratches, it may skip it, thus the game/music not work.

Aaron
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Perhaps I was doing something wrong but I used it with bad results. I used PlastX on a XBOX 360 game. Very little PlastX and a CD cleaning cloth were used and it did not fix or clear the scratches.

Great product but it did not work for me in this application.

Comment

Thanks for your replies!

I tried PlastX 3 times with no success. (I replayed the intro through 2 cutscenes a couple of times since, and sometimes I see no cutscene at all, sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a little more---it has varied with each play!)

So, I've found a 44 page gamescript and printed out the dialog....it's the only way to know the story at this point. I just hope all 4 discs aren't this bad.

But the good news is that PlastX did not harm the PS1 disc in any way. I considered ScratchX.......but since it's stronger I didn't want to push my luck.

Comment

ive tried it on an Xbox game a while back and it made no difference, although this disc was very badly scratched. it did a great job of cleaning it though, probably just wasnt abrasive enough to get rid of the scratches.

Comment

I've used #M83 on a Cd I thought was wrecked (due to scratches)
              It plays like new.
              Try PlastX since it's nowhere as strong as what I selected ...
              Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
              ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
              (269)650-2242

Comment

I did... felt like it left a lot of micro marring--- probably didn't work it long enough.

Comment

I've never thought about this, great idea, just to play around!

Comment

I have used plastic polish on video games many, many times. I have 3 young kids who (until recently) did not understand the importance of scratch free games. As a result, there are many occasions that I did this. Just like with your car, use a lot of elbow grease. There has only been one game that I couldn't get to work again. It just happens to be my 5 year old son's favorite game - and the reason he now exercises care with the games. Probably a good thing overall.

Comment

Just an update....

In the end, I did eventually try ScratchX on the game discs, too (all four of them). While I still don't know how much it helped (sometimes I get the cutscenes and sometimes I still don't!), it definately didn't hurt the discs or make them unreadable in any way.....

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');