• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust?

I have some surface rust on the interior bottom of my passenger side door. It's along the panel seam. If I don't do something about it soon the road salt will eat through the door and I don't want that.

What is your preferred method to deal with rust?

I was going to grind down to the metal and prime and paint with a spray can but have also been looking at the POR-15 system. Anyone have any experience with POR-15? Here's a link to the system... POR-15 <--- (I can do links like this now right? Sorry if not.)
    Scott

Re: Rust?

Any rust problems I've ever encountered have been solved with naval jelly to remove the rust and plain old rustoleum as a sealant. The POR stuff looks interesting but pretty pricey.

Mort (who salts his popcorn but can't see why anyone would salt their road)

Comment

Hmm... I hope this isn't on the Jeep.

What year is this and have you checked the corrosion warranty?
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Ya, the rustoleum will probably end up being what I use. Like you said the POR-15 is expensive and I would rather buy something local. I've heard of navel jelly but never used it. Is that something I could find in the paint section at my local store?

Good one Chris, I never even thought of the corrosion warranty. I'll have to do some checking into that. It's on the Jeep.

Edit: Just did some looking. Jeep is a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty. So it might be close on the years, it's a 2003. Not sure what the build date or sold date is.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
          Ya, the rustoleum will probably end up being what I use. Like you said the POR-15 is expensive and I would rather buy something local. I've heard of navel jelly but never used it. Is that something I could find in the paint section at my local store?
          They sell navel jelly at my local NAPA store, so you should be able to find it.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post

Good one Chris, I never even thought of the corrosion warranty. I'll have to do some checking into that. It's on the Jeep.

Edit: Just did some looking. Jeep is a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty. So it might be close on the years, it's a 2003. Not sure what the build date or sold date is.
            The rust has be be through a panel for them to honor the corrosion warranty.

In the winter, I make it a habit of washing the lower inner door seams to remove salt ands sand from the area, and make sure the drain holes are open.
            Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
            Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

I've always had my cars oil sprayed every fall, they salt the heck out of our roads here and no rust ever forms anywhere. I bet you could retard any further rusting by coating the area with oil, I'd figure out a way to spray oil up into the drain holes too and let it drain out.

Matt

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');