• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonneau Film Buildup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonneau Film Buildup...

I have an extang blackmax soft tonneau(red color). There is this awful white builup of some sort on it. I tried MG wash,#39,#40, even baking soda. This stuff does not seem to want to budge. Any possibilites? Thanks.

05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD
    Exterior Mods:Hood Protector/Willmore Quad Length Nerfs/Debaged/KnockOff Euro Tails/SilverStars-Fr,Rr, and Fogs/Extang BlackMax Tonneau-Red/Color Matched Handles,Mirrors,Cowl,Antenna Thingy/Chrome Ram Logo Valve Stem Caps(Red)/Recon Smoked Rooflights(Colormatched-Red)

Re: Tonneau Film Buildup...

How did you apply the products you tried? Have you tried working them in with a soft brush? Frankly I don't have any idea of how to remove it if a soft brush and #39 or #40 doesn't work. Good job posting a pic, though. Someone ought to be able to help you out.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

soft cloth&soft brush. it's almost as though it feels like baked on vinyl protectant from the past. you know as well as I what the fla sun can do(i live in palm coast, fla). i'm thinking of maybe taking out the powerwasher on it tomarrow(being real careful ofcourse), or maybe ordering a new cover. but i'd rather save the $.
      05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD
      Exterior Mods:Hood Protector/Willmore Quad Length Nerfs/Debaged/KnockOff Euro Tails/SilverStars-Fr,Rr, and Fogs/Extang BlackMax Tonneau-Red/Color Matched Handles,Mirrors,Cowl,Antenna Thingy/Chrome Ram Logo Valve Stem Caps(Red)/Recon Smoked Rooflights(Colormatched-Red)

Comment

Take a look at the All Purpose Cleaner.
        AeroCleanse, LLC
        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
          Take a look at the All Purpose Cleaner.
          can you direct me to it? this is some nasty baked on stuff, do you really think it could possibly make a difference if those other things I tried didn't work? Thanks.
          05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD

Comment

Vengefulhemi,

You can get it from auto detailing solutions dot com . They sell it in 32 ounce samples. The sample is concentrate so you have to dilute it to 10:1 or 4:1 for your cleaning.

Andrew
            2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Hmmm. Does it seem like an actual film, or is it more like the tonneau cover itself is messed up? It looks to me like the tonneau cover is just baked. It really reminds me of something I was working on the other day...I wish I could remember what it is, because then I could advise you as to what worked and what didn't. It's hard to remember things when you get old lol. I don't think the APC will do anything, though, because it looks to me more like the tonneau cover is very dried out. JMO opinion though

I know what you mean about the FL sun. It will ruin things pretty quickly unless you keep on top of the maintenance.
              Lydia's Mobile Detailing
              Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
              2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Is it a white build up or has the color bleached out?
                AeroCleanse, LLC
                Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Here is what I noticed, I know everyone will think i'm nuts, but what I just did was very very gently scraped(skimmed) the surface with a razor blade and looking through a magnifying glass, I was getting dry brown crud during scraping(no white), but when picking with the point of the blade(again I stress very very gently), the white **** that's on there seems to gently dislodge. I gotta say thanks to all of you. Your being really kind to me. I really appreciate it.
                  05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD

Comment

Have you tried the canvas cleaner from the marine line? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by CAShine View Post
                      Have you tried the canvas cleaner from the marine line? Just a thought.
                      Great idea! I will get some tomarrow. But being that I tried 39,40,baking soda, do you think fantastic,409, or kaboom might work? Or, my wife use's shower power on the tiles in our bathroom which cuts mildew&stuff. Wadda think about those? Thanks.
                      05/Hemi/QC/Red/2WD

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');