• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX not working

Hi, I just bought a new black car but unfortunately there are light swirls marks all over it now. I tried using Scratch X to remove the swirls but it doesn't work. I tried a few times but saw no results. I used a mf towel to apply the product by hand. I applied some meguiars wax like a few weeks before i tried using scratch x, could that be the reason why Scratch X isnt working? Its a brand new car and the scratches are very thin; from the reviews i read this shouldnt be a problem for Scratch X. Some one please help me the swirls are very annoying!

Re: ScratchX not working

This is a list of great threads on using ScratchX, if you're attempting to remove any kind of below surface defect by hand using ScratchX we recommend you read through all of these.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Not very happy with ScratchX

ScratchX Works! - I Stand Corrected

And this thread is so good at driving home the point about multiple applications that we've included it in its entirety...

ScratchX - Before & After Extreme Makeover!

This is a copy of a thread originally posted on what is now the old forum, it makes the point so well that in some situations removing the below surface defects to an acceptable level that it will require multiple applications that we copied it here to our permanent vB forum.

As should be, due credit given to the original poster, member 04SI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 04SI
    ScratchX Extreme Makeover
    (This link takes you to the original thread on the CS forum)

Picked up this rare seat cowl for my 1986 Suzuki GSX-R 750 on eBay. It looked a little rough but it was really cheap.

BEFORE - Actual picture from eBay auction.

AFTER

Process

Step 1 - Wash
    Step 2 - Clay
    Step 3 - ScratchX
    Step 4 - ScratchX
    Step 5 - ScratchX
    Step 6 - ScratchX
    Step 7 - #7 Glaze
    Step 8 - NXT Wax

The lesson here is that sometimes in order to completely remove defects like swirls and scratches, you may need to apply multiple applications of ScratchX in order to remove enough paint to level or flatten out the surface and in essence remove the defects.

It also requires that you,

"put a little passion behind the pad"

ScratchX works if you work ScratchX, it's not a WOWO product, (Wipe On, Wipe Off, pronounced whoa whoa), it's a WOWI product, (Wipe On, Work In, pronounced wow wee)

A big thank you to 04SI for taking the time to take these photos, document his work and then share it with our community.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The major reason people don't get the result they're looking for when using ScratchX is because they are not using the correct technique for applying the product.

It's not a wipe-on, wipe-off product, you don't just smear it around like a wax and then expect that somehow the chemical itself will go to work removing paint.

You have to work the product against the paint and force the diminishing abrasives to take little bites out of the paint and thus remove some paint and that's how you remove a scratch.

You level the surface with the lowest depth of the scratch and this requires you to

"Put some passion behind the pad"

At the same time you can't just rub real hard in a haphazard way your you'll put scratches in from either your applicator material or your hand pressure and often times both.

Polishing paint is an art form, modern clear coats tend to be harder than paints from before 1980 and that makes it difficult for you and I to get defects out of the paint by hand. This is why DA polishers have become SO POPULAR in the last 10 years, because they can do what your 4 fingers pushing down on a wax pad cannot do.

Also read this,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

"Some materials and/or surface coatings don't lend themselves well to being abraded"

In order to remove a scratch out of anything, metal, plastic glass, paint, etc. You must remove material around the scratch until the surface is level or equal to the lowest depths of the scratch or scratches.

The below diagram if for paint, the the same thing applies to just about an surface material or coating.

In essences, you don't really remove a scratch, you remove material around a scratch.

Then the big question is, is the material or coating workable, as in can you abrade small particles of it and leave behind an original looking surface. For example, some things you can abrade, (remove the scratch), but you can never completely remove all of your abrading marks, thus you can't really fix the problem, all you can do is exchange one set of scratches of a different set of scratches.

The next questions is, how thick is the surface material you're working on or the coating. You are limited to what you can do by the thickness of these to things, (surface coating or surface material), and whether or not this surface is workable.

Sometimes you don't know what you can so until you try. It's always a good idea to test your choice of products, applicator materials and application process, (By hand or by machine), to an inconspicuous area. If you cannot make a small area look good with your product, applicator and process, you will not be able to make the entire surface look good. It's always a good idea to test first and error on the side of caution, versus make a mistake you cannot undo.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hiya Sorry to hear about the swirls, i dont think the polish should affect Scratch X's performance. Scratch X is quite a good product, but is hard work and meant to be worked in small sections, i have Scratch X'ed the whole of a car in the past its not easy. I used to follow this up with Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (DC1) and wax with Gold Class liquid wax. But NXT Generation Wax maybe more suited it has the ability to hide swirl marks (if you polished regularly).

Other quick question is what type of car is it? Volkswagen-Audi Group as general assumption tend to have very hard clear coat finishes that make defect removal by hand very though indeed.

Christian.

Comment

The key is the passion you put into the applicator pad. Meaning, some elbow grease. Don't try to do large areas at a time, 12X12 is the best, seems like it would take longer, but trust me, it don't.
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

With Nappers. The key is a small area at a time. Multiple passes. Last but not least plenty of passion. If you do a small sectionat a time your frustration level diminishes because you are seeing the results of your labor. Also do not be worried if you can't finish your car in one day. Do your hood . then the next day the roof, etc. In most cases trying to do the car in one day is a killer.lol,

Good luck, keep us informed on how you do.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by christian6984 View Post
              Other quick question is what type of car is it? Volkswagen-Audi Group as general assumption tend to have very hard clear coat finishes that make defect removal by hand very though indeed.
              My car is an Infiniti G37.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');