• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project car.... Is there help for this paint? Pics inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project car.... Is there help for this paint? Pics inside

Just scraped up a 92 Nissan 240sx to restore. It was used and abused in many different states apparently. Is there any way to make it look a little better while I save for body work and paint? The drivers rear was in an accident, and where they repaired it the clear is all peeling off.

Pics:

This last one is the condition of the paint on the rest of the car, dirty but has potential.. I just don't know about the above photos.

Any suggestions? Much appreciated!

Re: Project car.... Is there help for this paint? Pics inside

There is no help for that, a repaint is in order.

Comment

We would agree with Duff,

There's no hope for the paint anywhere it's peeling off or turning white, any of the lower side panels with good paint could be polished but not sure it would improve the overall appearance of the car.

Time to repaint.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I just want to add something...

Often times when polishing paints that have SERIOUS defects, the paint becomes unstable. It may look really good afterwards, but the paint seems to attract swirls.

Here's an example:

About two months after some heavy compounding (rotary, M84, and a wool pad), the paint had tons of swirls. I'm almost positive the owner did not wash it during that time period, but I just don't know what happened.

Another thing, this would be an excellent vehicle to get some rotary experience. If you burn through, so what! It will just match the panels to the rest of the car.
        Chris
        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

That's a whole lot of clearcoat failure, bad body work, bad paint work.. and overall mess. No doubt you could spend some time making parts of it look better... but I wouldn't do much more than clean it up and save up for a repaint.
          --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

Hail damage spans the entire top of the car, both doors are a wrinkled mess, the rear end is nothing but bad body work and accidents. I failed to notice 90% of this when I met the guy half way (250+ miles one way) to buy the car due to weather conditions. It was after sunset, and it was pouring rain so I couldn't really see anything but shiny wet paint unfortunately. The photos I saw of it on the internet looked REALLY good - they must have been old and very outdated?

The interior all needs to be replaced, due to the passenger side being one big blood stain (seats, carpet etc) - and the power steering pressure hose exploded on the way home so the engine bay is quite a mess.

He simply neglected to mention any problems to me at all - when I bought it the guy was in a big rush to leave, and now I know why. All I was aware of were a "couple" "tiny" hail dings which I was ok with because I'm practicing paintless dent removal.

Well I guess I'm in for a ride with this one, if I can bring this car back from it's current condition I will post back with progress *shrug*

Thanks for telling me like it is guys, I appreciate your honesty above all. (unlike the crook who sold me this car.)

Comment

Originally posted by 97 Supra View Post
              The interior all needs to be replaced, due to the passenger side being one big blood stain (seats, carpet etc)
              WTF?!?!

well at least parts for these things are easy to find at the junkyard thanks to kids crashing them all the time... black is kind of popular color too i think...

Comment

nevermind i guess

as i was getting onto the highway tonight the engine blew.

Comment

so its basically ready for the crusher.... body bad... interior bad... engine bad.... only parts worth saving are the tires....

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');