• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a Dual-Action Polisher: Raised Edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Dual-Action Polisher: Raised Edges

I'm sure this has been talked about somewhere, but I haven't exactly found it yet ... most of the videos and talks I've seen/read basically show a DA being used on a relatively flat hood, roof, or side door area - could someone advise on what to do (or not do) when polishing or waxing using a DA polisher and approaching a raised edge that some hoods or other panels may have?

Also, a word or two about side mirrors would be nice as well. Maybe you can hit these raised areas with a bit less pressure and time, but to be safe, it'd be good to hear from some of you guys who actually have the practical experience.

Thanks -

Re: Using a Dual-Action Polisher: Raised Edges

Buff up to the raised edges, but not on them. If you want, go back over the raised edges by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson_One View Post
      I'm sure this has been talked about somewhere, but I haven't exactly found it yet ... most of the videos and talks I've seen/read basically show a DA being used on a relatively flat hood, roof, or side door area - could someone advise on what to do (or not do) when polishing or waxing using a DA polisher and approaching a raised edge that some hoods or other panels may have?

Also, a word or two about side mirrors would be nice as well. Maybe you can hit these raised areas with a bit less pressure and time, but to be safe, it'd be good to hear from some of you guys who actually have the practical experience.

Thanks -
      I find that using the DA on edges is painless as long as you're careful...I let the DA ride over the edge but don't spend time on it..the DA is ultra safe...
      Bill Poirier
      West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Originally posted by TKDDAD View Post
        I find that using the DA on edges is painless as long as you're careful...I let the DA ride over the edge but don't spend time on it..the DA is ultra safe...
        I agree with Bill.

About the mirrors, I sometimes use the DA on the mirrors. It just depends on the individual mirrors. Pretty much the only way you can mess up something with the DA is if you drop it on the paint (ask me how I know! lol).
        Lydia's Mobile Detailing
        Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
        2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

I agree with Bill and Lydia, I haven't screwed my car up yet, so your safe LOL.

Have fun.

Aaron
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

So the the DA (G110A) isn't a beast, and you could almost do the entire car, edges and all ... just lighten up a bit on the edges and don't waste time there ... maybe touch up those a bit by a few quick hits by hand?

I feel better now ... thanks guys & gals! Waiting for my next order from ADS to come in this week!

Comment

Like most of the guys wrote, it's safe, but be careful. You can know really well your car, but maybe someday you could be helping out a friend with his car and you'll not much about the paint job so just be careful

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson_One View Post
                So the the DA (G110A) isn't a beast, and you could almost do the entire car, edges and all ... just lighten up a bit on the edges and don't waste time there ... maybe touch up those a bit by a few quick hits by hand?

I feel better now ... thanks guys & gals! Waiting for my next order from ADS to come in this week!
                one more thing that I learned...the DA with #80 will remove pinstripping....so again, the message is, be careful, pay attention and things should go smoothly...
                Bill Poirier
                West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');