• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Art of Cleaning Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Art of Cleaning Glass

Originally posted by rlestra5 View Post
    Does anyone else find it very difficult to get their car glass the way they want it? I use Sprayway Glass Cleaner -- which is known to be a fantastic, ammonia-free glass cleaner for car windows -- along with a microfiber towel. And yet still when the sun hits my windows I can see smears (wipe marks/residue) where I've applied the cleaner.

I've been told to use less glass cleaner. I've also been told to use a separate microfiber towel to wipe away any residue when I'm finished the first time around. I've tried both, and the results are still far from perfect. I still notice a haze, as I've mentioned above, when bright light (the sun, street lamps) shine on my windows.

I'm a perfectionist with this kind of thing, and I really want to get it right, so I'd be curious to hear what might work once and for all.
    Sorry, I think I might have unintentionaly sidtracked the original question you asked rlestra5. My experience with NXT Glass cleaner has been the closest to perfect, once you use as directed. Mist on, wipe with mf, turn mf to dry section and wipe off excess. Same procedure for inside. When I do this I've never had a streaking or haze. My only problem has been the small fibres that I can see in the early morning sun, which as these guys have been hinting at might be my cleaning routine for my mf towels.
    Remember amatures built the ARK, proffesionals built the titanic

Comment

Why do you guys wash the glass towels seperately from other towels? Just curious, becasue I've been washing them with my other microfiber towels.
      2008 Chevy Silverado Vortec Max LTZ
      2008 GMC Acadia, SLT2
      2006 Chevy Silverado W/T
      1997 Chevy Silverado Z71

Comment

Invisible Glass cleaner.

/thread

no streaks, and leaves windows amazing.
        Meguiars=FTW

HMD - 2nd Year & Running Strong

Comment

Originally posted by 1990ss View Post
          Why do you guys wash the glass towels seperately from other towels? Just curious, becasue I've been washing them with my other microfiber towels.
          Because wax, silicone dressings, etc. can be difficult to remove completely during washing and then might be redeposited on the glass during cleaning, which frequently isn't noticeable until that moment of sun or headlight glare.

Just to reinforce some of the comments others have made. I have dedicated towels that I use for the inside glass only, nothing else, and wash them together, separately from all other towels.

Also note that cigarette smoke residue and/or vinyl fog on the inside of the glass can be very difficult to remove and may require many applications, scrubbing, etc.

The towel lint is an ongoing problem, I have eleventy-seven different kinds of glass towels, including the Huck towels mentioned, and have not found the "perfect" one yet (well, actually, I did, but I can't get them anymore). I have a few that may be as good, but haven't tried them yet.

Comment

Well I use Meguiars concentrated glass cleaner,2 buf-n-shine glass microfibers from ADS. I mist the product on the towel, not the glass. Work the product on the glass. Then I take the second micro and wipe any residue left behind.

Another trick I use is this: I go side to side with the wiping on the interior glass. On the exterior I go up and down. This way If I do leave a streak behind, it is easy to tell if its inside or out. Works for me.

For washing, liquid detergent, separately, dry in dryer on medium heat. No problems this way for me.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Somewhere on this forum when a similar post was made about the difficulty in cleaning glass and getting it streak-free myself and others posted some suggestions...

Can anyone remember that thread or locate it?

Can't think of any key words to search for it...

Maybe fog as in Vinyl Fog?

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's one thread,

NXT Glass Cleaner Haze/Residue

but the one I'm thinking about talks about having plenty of clean dry wiping cloths as all too often people try to remove glass cleaner and the dirt/film on the glass with a wiping cloth that's too contaminated with residue.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the help. I really don't have any problems with streaks or smearing, but I'll try to wash them seperately anyways. The one thing that happened yesterday though, I was using the Meguiars white glasss microfiber towels and it was leaving alot of little fibers all over the glass. I thought I read some where that they were discontinued. Is that why?
                  2008 Chevy Silverado Vortec Max LTZ
                  2008 GMC Acadia, SLT2
                  2006 Chevy Silverado W/T
                  1997 Chevy Silverado Z71

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Somewhere on this forum when a similar post was made about the difficulty in cleaning glass and getting it streak-free myself and others posted some suggestions...

Can anyone remember that thread or locate it?

Can't think of any key words to search for it...

Maybe fog as in Vinyl Fog?

Is this it Mike?

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ht=streak-free

Comment

i like using stoner's aerosol, spray on, a light coat onto the window, wipe it down really good, and use a different MF to go back over it
                      2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');