• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between clays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between clays

Ok guys, Im wondering what the difference is between the smooth surface clay kit and the mild blue clay bar? is the smooth surface a least aggresive clay and the mild blue is say a medium clay?

Re: Difference between clays

Well, the Smooth Surface clay is milder than the Blue clay, but I wouldnt bump the Blue up to medium.

More of a mild and milder I guess...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

gotcha, and the red is for the more aggressive? so the blue clay could take care of all the stuff that the smooth surface clay could do, correct?

Comment

Yes, the Red is most agressive. Even with using lubrication, the Red clay can mar the finish, so you would pretty much need to plan to do some swirl removal with a machine after using it.

Yes, the Blue and the Smooth Surface would be interchangeable. Really it just comes down to how much clay you need. I worry that the tub would dry out before I used it all, so I just buy a box of Smooth Surface each year.

Comment

Exactly.

I wouldn't try the red clay, because it's very aggressive and it can mar the paint, so you'll have to buff it out.

The red clay is meant for pro's.

Comment

What are the typical applications that require red clay?

Comment

Originally posted by EAT HEMI View Post
              What are the typical applications that require red clay?
              Stubborn over spray is all I can think of. Maybe someone else has more examples.
              Scott

Comment

I've used the red clay on overspray and really stubborn tree sap and tar. Most of the time if I am detailing for a customer, I am polishing it out anyways, so any light marring I cause by using the clay is going to be removed when I break out the rotary. On the red stealth I did, the sap was so bad, the red clay wouldn't touch it, the best thing I found was goo-gone and a heat gun but that was an extreme case...

Tom

Comment

I think it may commonly be used in the painting industry, where they will be buffing after.

But for the average detailer, or even detailing business, there is nothing really typical for it. Real bad overspray or sap would be about it.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It was just a curiousity. I mean one of the main sell points of clay is that it is safe. Then a while back I see "Meguiar's aggressive clay" and I was a little corn-fused.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                      I think it may commonly be used in the painting industry, where they will be buffing after.

But for the average detailer, or even detailing business, there is nothing really typical for it. Real bad overspray or sap would be about it.
                      I don't completely agree, I would venture to say you can do more damage with the body sponge than the red clay, a lot depends on what you are removing and what type of pressure you are using, the paint your working on etc... that's why it's always a good idea to do a small test section first. I've had cars where the blue clay takes more than one application to get the body smooth.

It's like using the rotary or even wet sanding. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has never done it, but if you familiarize yourself with it and get comfortable with it, it can be your friend in the right applications.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by EAT HEMI View Post
                        Thanks for the info. It was just a curiousity. I mean one of the main sell points of clay is that it is safe. Then a while back I see "Meguiar's aggressive clay" and I was a little corn-fused.
                        Well, it is that, definitely more aggressive.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');