• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greasy Film After Removing Gold Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasy Film After Removing Gold Class

I have a new black Corvette and have waxed it with Gold Class. I have used Gold Class on other vehicles. After removing the wax I seam to have a greasy film remaining the car. Any recommendations?

Re: Greasy Film After Removing Gold Class

It sounds like you applied the wax too thick. When a protectant is applied too thick, it tends to smear.

I've found that a spray detailer and a good microfiber will remove the smearing.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
      It sounds like you applied the wax too thick. When a protectant is applied too thick, it tends to smear.

I've found that a spray detailer and a good microfiber will remove the smearing.

SYDSTER

Comment

Hey,

As the others have said, be sure to apply a very thin coat. Also make sure that you allow enough time for it to dry before wiping it off. Hence, perform the Swipe Test. Take you finger after ~15 minutes and the swipe the residue on the paint. If it comes off easily without any smears etc in the clean swiped area, then remove with a microfiber cloth. If not, wait a little longer and keep performing the swipe test until the product is ready for removal.

Finally be sure to use a clean microfiber cloth like the Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe. When you wash the towels, do not use fabric softener as that too can cause smears and streaking.

I hope that helps!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I use GC this weekend on my truck. Light coats, swipe test no problem. Make sure you do the swipe test you might be wiping it to soon.
          2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
          2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by Dragin View Post
            I have a new black Corvette and have waxed it with Gold Class. I have used Gold Class on other vehicles. After removing the wax I seam to have a greasy film remaining the car. Any recommendations?
            Whenever I use GC on my black car, I get a kind of oily film too. Not sure what the deal is, my guess is the oils in it. It just takes me an extra wipe or two to get it off.

When I use GC on my SS truck, it gums up and is almost like trying to wipe glue off of the paint.

I still use it, it is a really great looking wax on black!

Comment

Besides some of the other points brought up already, here's something you could also try...

Final Wiping Techniques
              Not initial removal of a product, but after the most of the product has been removed and now you're just giving the finish a final wipe.

Final Wiping Techniques

Use your nicest and softest Microfiber polishing cloth for your final wipe.

Did the wax have uniform consistency when you poured some out of the bottle and onto your applicator pad?
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');