• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX

Should ScratchX only be applied with a foam app? Or could I use a Terry Cloth or Mf pad? I would think that a terry cloth would be abbrasive and help with the product. Is this Right?

Also after I clay and ScratchX should I use DC1 or move to the DC2 since the ScratchX is a cleaner?
    Removing stress & swirls one car at a time!

Re: ScratchX

You can use a terry cloth towel to give ScratchX a little more "bite".

If you clay and ScratchX the entire vehicle it's not necessary to use DC1, you can go right ahead to DC2.

Or you can use DC1 in the entire vehicle and in some areas you can use ScratchX in more affected areas and continue when you are finished with DC2

Good luck on your detail.

Comment

Application Material is ALWAYS a factor with any product and any process. By process we man working by hand or machine and ANY kind of machine. For example if you're using an old fashioned orbital buffer you can choose different types of material the bonnet is made out of. If you're using a rotary buffer you could choose a wool pad or a foam pad and these are examples of "Application Material".

As for your question, you can use the these three common application materials to apply and work ScratchX

Foam
      Microfiber
      Cotton Terry Cloth

Both foam and microfiber applicator pads tend to be the most gentle to the finish. Cotton Terry Cloth tends to be more aggressive and it will give your choice of product, in your case ScratchX, more 'bite' when working the product.

Keep in mind if you start out using cotton terry cloth and you work the cotton aggressively against the paint to remove defects that you will likely remove the defects faster than if you used foam or microfiber but you may also leave light toweling scratches which you'll then have to remove by switching to a less aggressive application material, (foam or microfiber).

Another example of how polishing paint is an art form, not merely a mechanical process.

And as Meguiar's has been teaching people for one hundred years,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

What are you working on and what are you trying to accomplish?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Application Material is ALWAYS a factor with any product and any process. By process we man working by hand or machine and ANY kind of machine. For example if you're using an old fashioned orbital buffer you can choose different types of material the bonnet is made out of. If you're using a rotary buffer you could choose a wool pad or a foam pad and these are examples of "Application Material".

As for your question, you can use the these three common application materials to apply and work ScratchX

Foam
        Microfiber
        Cotton Terry Cloth

Both foam and microfiber applicator pads tend to be the most gentle to the finish. Cotton Terry Cloth tends to be more aggressive and it will give your choice of product, in your case ScratchX, more 'bite' when working the product.

Keep in mind if you start out using cotton terry cloth and you work the cotton aggressively against the paint to remove defects that you will likely remove the defects faster than if you used foam or microfiber but you may also leave light toweling scratches which you'll then have to remove by switching to a less aggressive application material, (foam or microfiber).

Another example of how polishing paint is an art form, not merely a mechanical process.

And as Meguiar's has been teaching people for one hundred years,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

What are you working on and what are you trying to accomplish?

Mike can not of said it any better than this. If you do use scratch-x by hand over the entire car you better factor in your recovery time since your arms will more than likely be ready to fall off. I would suggest dc1 and scratch-x in the worst areas then dc2 then your wax of choice.

Andrew
        2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

wouldnt using a terry cloth or microfiber swirl the surface though?
          MY NEW WORD "SWIRLFREENESS"
          FOR ANY CHRYSLER 300/DODGE MAGNUM/DODGE CHARGER/ DODGE CHALLENGER VISIT WWW.LXFORUMS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by cm2005300 View Post
            wouldnt using a terry cloth or microfiber swirl the surface though?
            Yes it is possible that it would, but like Mike P stated you should go back over that same area with a less aggressive application material to remove the terry towel marks.

Andrew
            2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Guys thanks so much for the guidance. I would not been able to start this journey with out this forum.

Mike I'm going to start to work on my 98 Z71 truck it has been my baby and I have had it for 7 years and only put one coat of wax on it (all by hand, I will not touch my truck with a machine). Now that I have came across this forum I have read and learned a lot and bought a lot of product and plan to detail my truck back to "New". My truck has always been in the garage and has been babied!! My truck has very few "cobwebs" and Minor scratches in it. This due to my fault of how I was washing and drying it (learned from forum). The paint is a very deep metallic blue and pewter on the bottom.

I wanted to know this info cause I bought this product for my detail shelf and wanted to know how to use it to is best performance!!

There are two area I want to apply this product on. So I will use DC1 on truck and Scratch on problem area.

Another problem area I want to try this on is when I bought this truck it had bed caps on it. I removed them cause they would never stick down and I added bed rails. The problem I have is the plastic bed caps scratched the paint where the caps wrapped down the bed side. This might not be repairable due to the depth. Any suggestions?
              Removing stress & swirls one car at a time!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');