• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X

When using scratch x and applying by hand how much pressure do you put on the pad?I tried going with just a little pressure and using a wax pad to apply it,but the scratch did not come out.

Re: Scratch X

With ScratchX you have to put a little passion behind the pad. This is not a wipe on, wipe off product. I have found that it takes multiple applications 3-4 to remove some scratches.

Try using small piece of a terry cloth towel and really work it into the paint before removing. The terry cloth will give a little extra bite.

There are a lot of good threads detailing the proper use of ScatchX.

The Definitive ScratchX Thread Collection

EL
    Erick Lawson

2007 Ford F-150 / 2004 Infiniti G35

Comment

almost all you got,and sometimes acouple times

Comment

Originally posted by spence82 View Post
        almost all you got,and sometimes acouple times
        I have done it by hand many times and you do really have to work it hard some times but it will get the job done
        ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
        Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
        210-281-8151

Comment

Thanks for the tips.I will have to try again tomarrow.My truck is a Red Jewel Trailblazer SS-should I being seeing some red paint on the pad?

Comment

Originally posted by MRB73 View Post
            Thanks for the tips.I will have to try again tomarrow.My truck is a Red Jewel Trailblazer SS-should I being seeing some red paint on the pad?
            no all your really taking down is the clearcoat in newer vehicles so there should be no red
            ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
            210-281-8151

Comment

Interesting everyone says rub really hard with the ScratchX and to use a terri cloth towel. Maybe the terri cloth towel I am using is not high enough quality because I did just that and was putting in more scratches than I was taking out! At the right angle I could see them. To get them out I used a terri cloth towel with lighter pressure and some #80. After working it by hand one or two times I removed all the scratches put in when using the ScratchX.

I also noticed several places I worked the ScratchX again using a terri cloth towel that when the sun hit them right looked a bit cloudy and had a whole bunch of light scratches in the paint. Again, using the #80 by hand I removed these problems but was using lighter pressure.

This was after I had finished doing the entire car with 2 passes of 80, one of 7 and 2 coats of 26 using the G100. The car looks great but as I tried touching up these areas with ScratchX I had these issues. I am going to try the ScratchX with some Meguiars foam pads to see if I end up with the same problems.

I suspect it is my towels causing the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by brickyardz View Post
                Interesting everyone says rub really hard with the ScratchX and to use a terri cloth towel. Maybe the terri cloth towel I am using is not high enough quality because I did just that and was putting in more scratches than I was taking out! At the right angle I could see them. To get them out I used a terri cloth towel with lighter pressure and some #80. After working it by hand one or two times I removed all the scratches put in when using the ScratchX.

I also noticed several places I worked the ScratchX again using a terri cloth towel that when the sun hit them right looked a bit cloudy and had a whole bunch of light scratches in the paint. Again, using the #80 by hand I removed these problems but was using lighter pressure.

This was after I had finished doing the entire car with 2 passes of 80, one of 7 and 2 coats of 26 using the G100. The car looks great but as I tried touching up these areas with ScratchX I had these issues. I am going to try the ScratchX with some Meguiars foam pads to see if I end up with the same problems.

yea i have notice terri cloths are some times a little to agressive for me by hand. thats why i stick to the microfiber and then foam combination if im doing it by hand
                210-281-8151

Comment

Interesting everyone says rub really hard with the ScratchX and to use a terri cloth towel. Maybe the terri cloth towel I am using is not high enough quality because I did just that and was putting in more scratches than I was taking out! At the right angle I could see them.
                  You use a terry cloth towel to get more 'bite' using ScratchX. If you use the terry cloth towel you'll have to follow with your Hi Tech Applicator pad for a perfect finish.

Comment

FWIW - I have a Redline Z and have found that ScratchX w/ the foam pad leaves a nice finish & no micro-scratching as you've described. When doing this by hand though, I use moderate pressure and multiple applications (depending on the defect, but generally at least 2). Your issues might be the combo of the towels you're using and Nissan's clear coat chemistry. You should also look into M105 w/ a foam pad. I can't say enough good about this product... it worked great for me. It quickly removed the defect (car cover scratches/scuffs) and left a haze & swirl-free finish!

Comment

The idea behind using terry cloth is to use it as a more abrasive product with the ScratchX to help you remove some paint as that is how your remove a scratch, you remove the paint surrounding the scratch.

"You never actually remove a scratch because a scratch is the absence of something, (paint), not the presence of something"

The fibers of the cotton terry cloth when pushed hard against paint will scratch it, that's the negative side of using terry cloth with pressure but it will help you to remove paint which helps you to achieve your goal and that is to remove the paint surrounding the scratch.

Then after you use the terry cloth to remove enough paint to remove the scratch, then you remove your terry cloth scratches using the same chemical, ScratchX but for this step you change your application material to foam or microfiber and you also change you manner of application to a more gentle approach as now you're trying to remove fine scratches and restore a smooth, glossy finish.

Polishing paint is an art form, not just a mechanical process, it requires the human elements of care and passion and you can't pour these two things out of a bottle.

Another option is our new M105 Ultra Cut Compound as it can be used by hand to remove swirls and scratches, problem is you have to buy a quart as that's the smallest size container it's available in and you have to locate a PBE store to find it. There are online options also.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Today,trying to get the scratch out I tried a terry cloth towel and it worked great.But there was still a little mark left on the door(most likely no one would ever see it but I knew it was there).The next thing I tried was a sock that I turned inside out and that took the rest of the scratch out.I also used a little 3M liquid polishing compound(sorry Meguiar's)I re- waxed the door with some NXT and it looked like nothing ever happened.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted-you gave me some great ideas and they helped me get out a scratch that I was sure I was going to have to get professionally removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                          The idea behind using terry cloth is to use it as a more abrasive product with the ScratchX to help you remove some paint as that is how your remove a scratch, you remove the paint surrounding the scratch.

"You never actually remove a scratch because a scratch is the absence of something, (paint), not the presence of something"

The fibers of the cotton terry cloth when pushed hard against paint will scratch it, that's the negative side of using terry cloth with pressure but it will help you to remove paint which helps you to achieve your goal and that is to remove the paint surrounding the scratch.

Then after you use the terry cloth to remove enough paint to remove the scratch, then you remove your terry cloth scratches using the same chemical, ScratchX but for this step you change your application material to foam or microfiber and you also change you manner of application to a more gentle approach as now you're trying to remove fine scratches and restore a smooth, glossy finish.

Polishing paint is an art form, not just a mechanical process, it requires the human elements of care and passion and you can't pour these two things out of a bottle.

Another option is our new M105 Ultra Cut Compound as it can be used by hand to remove swirls and scratches, problem is you have to buy a quart as that's the smallest size container it's available in and you have to locate a PBE store to find it. There are online options also.

Mike,

Thanks for the input and clarification. What you described is essentially what I did I was just not aware using the ScratchX with the terri was going to instill some scratches. I just used #80 instead of the ScratchX on the 2nd pass with lighter preasure to return everything to a glossy finish.

I just finished detailing the entire car and when I can get some photos will post up the results. Unfortunately I couldn't get any before photos. Most of the cars I have been doing were started on a cloudy or overcast day and the sun wasn't available to help out.

Thanks again for all your time and effort help us become better at taking care of our cars paint.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');