• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal Polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Polish?

Hey there,

I will soon be doing a complete over haul on my Dodge Ram 1500. The truck needs a good bit of work on it from the paint and clear coat cleaning to the rims and nerf bars. I have talked to Murr1525 about the body work and I'm set with that. Now, I have some other questions. I want to polish up the chrome nerf bars and the rim. I have tried many things with on the rim and bars and I havent been too pleased with the over all results of the products. I haven't used and of Meguiar's Metal polishing products so I'm open to any and all suggestions and tips that can be offered to me. The one rim on the truck is an aftermarket aluminum rim and the other are chrome clad (plastic cover) I'm concerned about the aftermarket one since I am having a very hard time keeping it polished and looking good.

Thank You in advance for everyone's help
    Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
    Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Re: Metal Polish?

well i have been very pleased with Hot Rims products they have the Mag and Aluminum polish and the chrome polish wich both work great! You can also try the NXT Generation all metal polish which is also a good product. If none of those work for you then hopefully someone else has some better info than me. I would hate to say to use 0000 ultra fine steal wool but for me sometimes that can be a last resort on chrome if nothing else works but try and stay away from it if you can
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Comment

Does the aftermarket aluminum rim have a clear coat over the aluminum? They do that with many of the rims and using a metal polish will dull the look. If the rim is clear coated you should treat it just like you would your cars paint finish. I would suggest ScratchX if it is clear coated. If there is no coating and it is raw aluminum, then I would try the Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum polish. It works great on my aluminum rims and I have used it on some other polished aluminum pieces and one or two chrome pieces as well.

If you don't know if the rim is clear coated one of the easiest, and safest, ways to tell I have found is to take a small amount of ScratchX and try to polish a small part of the aluminum rim. If you start getting a black residue on your applicator there is no clear coat. If it doesn't turn black it is most likely clear coated. If it isn't clear coated I would use the mag & Alluminum polish, it works much better on raw aluminum. If it is clear coated the ScratchX won't harm the finish since it is clear coat safe but I would still do the test in a small area just in case you get different results.

Comment

Yeah, you might want to do a little checking to make sure of what actual coating is on each of those surfaces.

Chrome on a hubcap sounds fairly flimsy, probably only want a mild cleaner/wax for that if anything.

And as for the other wheel, see the above posts.

And then again, depending what the bars are of. If it is uncoated, metal polish would be fine, if coated, then treat like clear coat paint.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well, I do know the aftermarket rim does not have a clear coat on it. When I bought the rim from my local tire shop they even told me of this, but failed to tell me the proper cleaning method of the rim. ( My fault too for not asking)
          Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
          Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
          Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

Which wheel is it?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');