• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Rims Cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rims Cleaner?

I have heard that the "Hot Rims All wheel Cleaner" has been reported to damage brake systems. I was wondering if this is true or has any one heard anything anything pertaining to this?

Re: Hot Rims Cleaner?

Though I havent heard of any problems, some of the fancy high end/after market brake systems do use more sensitive materials than stock systems.

The Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner (relabeled Multi-Piece Wheel Cleaner) is the mildest wheel cleaner, and would be good if you have that concern.

I use it all the time, and it still gets the dirt off easily when used with wheel brushes.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Suprem01 View Post
      I have heard that the "Hot Rims All wheel Cleaner" has been reported to damage brake systems. I was wondering if this is true or has any one heard anything anything pertaining to this?
      As far as damage goes, it will not effect the ways brakes perform, but it may stain the calipers and/or the rotors in some cases. It really depends on what the brake components are made out of.

When choosing a wheel cleaner, one must remember to also look at the brake & suspension components and choose the right wheel cleaner for all surfaces that will get sprayed.

For example, if you have chrome wheels with anodized brake calipers, you should NOT choose the Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner...you need to choose the Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner since the calipers are anodized.

If your not sure which to purchase, call our Customer Care line or even call the wheel or brake manufacturer to 1st determine what coating(s) your working with.

Hope this helps.

Mike
      Mike Pennington
      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
      Meguiar's, Inc.
      800-854-8073
      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Ditto to Mike comments!! This product is a very good cleaner and will clean factory clearcoated wheels. On factory non painted brake parts there is no problem. If you have aftermarket or painted parts it is not recommended. The reason is only for cosmetic reasons, the product will not harm or effect brake performance in any way. Part of the problem with brake parts being such a concern for car owners now is that so many wheels designs have such an open look to them that it is very easy for product to get on brake parts when sprayed on the wheel.

Bottom line: Check with Meguiar's directly through our call center or check with the manufacture of the part you are concerned about.

~Tom

Comment

ok thank you for the information. This was brought to my attention and thought I would bring it up or more detail on this product

Comment

ok thank you for the information. This was brought to my attention and thought I would bring it up or more detail on this product
            If you read this on another forum, maybe share the link to this thread where you read this so the people that are posting this information can read Mike and Tom's replies.

Thanks!
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I bought a bottle of the all wheel cleaner today and sprayed it on my factory wheels. I got some on the rotors, rotor caps, and the calipers and now there are white spots on it. I am not sure if it's just clean spots or if it's starting to damage it. I threw away the bottle any ways. I am disappointed. I signed up just to say this.

Comment

Originally posted by tengohambre View Post
                I bought a bottle of the all wheel cleaner today and sprayed it on my factory wheels. I got some on the rotors, rotor caps, and the calipers and now there are white spots on it. I am not sure if it's just clean spots or if it's starting to damage it. I threw away the bottle any ways. I am disappointed. I signed up just to say this.
                Did you drive around the block and brake a couple times to clean the brakes out? I have cleaned $1000 cars up to $200,000 cars and they always stain no matter what until I drive the car around the block and brake a couple times.

Ryan
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I drove it around the block a couple times and the rotors got cleaner. Here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about

The rotor cap looks like bleached jeans. I'm not sure if it's just clean spots or if it's eating away at the metal, but I'm concerned about the latter. My calipers look similar.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');