• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mequiar's #16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mequiar's #16

I have read #16 paste is discontinued but read it was the best wax made by Meguiar's. Does anyone agree, or can comment on this statement. Reason? I can get a can or two of this stuff. #16 or NXT2...which is better? Thanks, Dianne

Re: Mequiar's #16

I haven't used NXT 2.0, but #16 is great stuff. Perhaps one of the best things I find about it is that you can go right over trim with it, and not only does it not stain but it enhances the look and protects it. Of course, the key with #16 and any wax like it (#26 or others) is to apply very thin and remove promptly (after letting it set up, of course) or you can use the WOWO (wipe on, wipe off) method, although I believe Mike Phillips frowns on this.

Comment

While I will agree that #16 is some of the greatest wax ever, NXT 2.0 ranks right up there for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either product. But if you can't apply by machine, then I would stick with the NXT for sure. #16 is just too hard to apply/remove by hand.

Also, #16 is not discontinued. It is only NOT being sold in the US. You can find it and order it from retailers outside the US(Like Canada), and have it shipped to you. VOC laws have taken #16 away from us

Nick
      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by n737nc View Post
        #16 is just too hard to apply/remove by hand.

Also, #16 is not discontinued. It is only NOT being sold in the US. You can find it and order it from retailers outside the US(Like Canada), and have it shipped to you.
        I have to disagree with your first statement, #16 is a breeze to apply by hand, and very easy to remove if you apply it thinly and remove promptly.

And I would point out to the original poster that while you may be able to get #16 shipped into the US, it would be illegal to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
          I have to disagree with your first statement, #16 is a breeze to apply by hand, and very easy to remove if you apply it thinly and remove promptly.

And I would point out to the original poster that while you may be able to get #16 shipped into the US, it would be illegal to do so.

Why would it be illegal? I, along with several others do this quite frequently. We order from a company, give them our address, and it shows up at our door. Nothing illegal about it.

I wouldn't say #16 is a breeze to apply and remove. Machine makes it sooooo much easier. If you get it too thick, it is a bear to remove.

How long are you letting #16 set up before you wipe it off?

Nick

Comment

I'm not going to get into an argument with you; it's a violation of federal law. It's illegal to sell #16 here any longer, which is why Meguiar's doesn't. By the same token it's illegal for a foreign company to sell it into this market.

By way of an example, do you think it would be legal to buy an assault rifle online from a Canadian company and have it "arrive at your door"?

Comment

Thats funny, you're compairing an assult rifle to wax

Next thing you know, it will will be ATF&W!

Comment

Pretty sure that Setec is correct about it being illegal to sell M16 into the United States, at least into California which has the strictest V.O.C. laws in the U.S., specifically Orange County which is where Irvine/Meguiar's is located.

Now if the other countries in the world would adopt Orange County's V.O.C. laws, restrictions and regulations for pollution you might actually see a change in the amount of pollution being spewed into the air, rivers and oceans...
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You may be right Mike, that the VOC regs are not yet adopted by the EPA (making them federal laws) but are on a state-by-state basis right now. Certainly CA and many states here in the northeast have adopted the CARB laws as well.

So I apologize n737nc, it may be legal to import #16 to your state. There is little risk to you in any case, unless you are reselling it. I think the gov't would go after the seller, rather than you.

Comment

Of course, the key with #16 and any wax like it (#26 or others) is to apply very thin and remove promptly (after letting it set up, of course) or you can use the WOWO (wipe on, wipe off) method, although I believe Mike Phillips frowns on this.
                    The way most waxes leave themselves behind on the surface is through the drying process, that is if the goal of applying a wax or paint sealant to an automotive paint is to leave the protection ingredients behind on the surface to protect the paint, then wiping the product off before it dries would mean that you're not leaving the maximum amount of protection ingredients behind because you wiped them off when you wiped the wax off before it fully dried.

Since most people want maximum protection, then following the manufactures recommendations and allowing the wax to fully dry before removing would insure you're leaving the maximum amount of protection ingredients behind on the surface.

Company's that promote the WOWO method do so from what I can tell because if you allow their product to fully dry it becomes difficult to wipe off.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this Setec Astronomy, but isn't that the urban legend behind Klasse SG and P21S and S100? Isn't that what people post about all 3 of these products? That you apply them and then quickly wipe them off or they can be very difficult to wipe off?

Does that mean they leave their protection ingredients on the surface in a flash of time?

To me, anytime I read where a wax or paint sealant of any type should be wiped off immediately, or right after it is applied, a Red Flag goes up and my first thoughts are there is something wrong with the product, not something right with it.

So I don't frown upon the WOWO method for M16, the goal is for people to get maximum benefits from any product they use and with our waxes you want to let them fully dry before removing them so you leave the maximum amount of protection ingredients behind on the surface.

To date, haven't met anyone that can argue the opposite of this as being a good or better thing.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

that the VOC regs are not yet adopted by the EPA (making them federal laws) but are on a state-by-state basis right now.
                      This is where the loop hole may be. Need a person that actually knows law as it pertains to this area to set the record straight.

Luckily for people selling and buying M16, there are not "Wax Police", at least yet... just need some more time for the Government to create the bureaucracy and then add a new tax to car wax to pay for it.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I personally apply my #16 very thinly and let it dry. When I did my winter waxing back in early November or so, I missed buffing a spot on my rear window. It's still there, after being outside all winter.

I always like to give a certain caveat when talking about these durable waxes. A lifetime ago, when I used to apply wax like cake icing, I came home from work and washed my car and slathered on a bunch of #16 or a similar wax (I honestly don't remember). I got tired, it was getting dark, so I decided I would buff off the wax at work the next day at lunchtime. Mind you, the car wasn't recently polished, and clay didni't exist back then, so it wasn't "glass smooth".

Lunchtime the next day..in the sun...I went to buff off my wax...it was like iron! I still think there was some on there when I junked the car almost 20 years later (that's a joke). Anyway, when I say "remove promptly" I mean after it dries, but not days or weeks later after baking in the sun!

Thanks for the further clarification on that, Mike.

Comment

You may be right Mike, that the VOC regs are not yet adopted by the EPA (making them federal laws) but are on a state-by-state basis right now. Certainly CA and many states here in the northeast have adopted the CARB laws as well.

So I apologize n737nc, it may be legal to import #16 to your state. There is little risk to you in any case, unless you are reselling it. I think the gov't would go after the seller, rather than you.
                          No appology needed. I buy it and haven't had any problems. In fact, I bought 10 tins of it one time from an online reseller. I live in Texas, we do not have the same laws that you guys in California have.

Can anyone clarify these VOC laws?

Nick

Comment

The most important thing to remember when applying M16 is to start with a perfectly clean and smooth surface, M16 is a pure wax, it has no cleaners and no cleaning ability, and then to only apply a very thin coating or it will break your arm trying to wipe it off. It is what is called a heavy wax, or a heavy molecular weight wax.

We used M16 on all the cars we detailed for about 10 years straight, we use NXT now days.

FWIW

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

These VOC laws are just a little confusing...

Eshine is able to sell #16 into the US from Canada.

My guess is that they can import it because most states don't have these environmental laws. Therefore, it's still legal to sell.

It would be interesting to hear from an attorney on this!
                              Chris
                              Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');