• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad water spots need your help guys!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad water spots need your help guys!!!

Ok so my mom has a SUV with some horrible water spots on the glass and i know the usual stuff to get them off. i have cleaned them with everything imaginable from nxt glass cleaner then tried a liquid claybar, even tried using some chrome polish that usually works ok, then i went at it with a foam polishing pad and # 80 and still not a dent. Nothing!! So then i got mad and hit it with a foam cutting pad and 85 diamond cut just hoping not to damage the glass but still nothing. still looked the same as when i cleaned it with nxt glass cleaner. I even tried a little steal wool when i began to get desprite. Anyone ever run into this? I am beggining to think it might be on the other side of the glass under the tint some how but it looks like its on the outside. the front windshield and front windows are fine, just the back ones with tint are the ones that have it. Any ideas? If not ill have to turn to my heavy cutting compound 12 gauge shotgun and see if that takes it out
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Re: Bad water spots need your help guys!!!

The paint cleaners you're using don't have the bite you need to cut through this gunk that has built up on the glass.

Try some #4 or some #49 in the Marine line with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and it should cut this gunk off the glass. Remember to tape off the outer edges of the glass so you don't get spatter on any of the gasket material or the fuzzy lining where the windows go up and down.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

hey thanks mike, i was about to get out the shotty What spead do you recomend hitting it with on a rotary? with those and a wool pad it it wont leave any kind of scratches behind will it? oh and you think even the steal wool was not agrasive enough to touch it? i know steal wool is not recommended because it will scratch the glass but it did that but still dint effect the water spots. i will try and pick up some #4 or some #49 tomorrow from a local vendor. hopefully it works. once again thanks mike
      ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
      210-281-8151

Comment

I was going to suggest using vinegar to try and remove it (it's always worked great at removing hard water & soap scum from the shower doors in the bathroom), but the #4 or #49 will probably work better.

Comment

The water spotting on my glass were not as bad as yours. I used the #4 with a terry. It was i pass and done. Try the #4 with some passion and see what happens. Good luck.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

My gosh, are those really on the glass?

I had good luck using #83 with a cutting pad to remove some water spots on my glass but it wasnt near that bad, not even close.
            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

WOW! Never seen something like that.Good luck with it

Comment

Originally posted by Derrickg32069

What speed do you recommend hitting it with on a rotary? with those and a wool pad it it wont leave any kind of scratches behind will it?
                1500rpm is usually good enough. Those water spots are pretty bad, do you know how they got there? Did the car get parked where a sprinkler goes off all the time?

Seen a lot of glass like that in Oregon and Washington...

oh and you think even the steal wool was not aggressive enough to touch it? i know steal wool is not recommended because it will scratch the glass but it did that but still dint effect the water spots.
                Don't know, never surprised by anything. Don't know what you can do until you try...

i will try and pick up some #4 or some #49 tomorrow from a local vendor. hopefully it works. once again thanks mike
                Best of luck to you, do us a favor and if it works, find a place where you can lay a tape line and then do a side-by-side, before and after. Might want to use a couple layers of painters tape on the edge where you're buffing.

Best of luck to you, will be interested to if you're able to remove these spots...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ok so my local vendor had # 4 unfortunately he doesnt cary the marine line so i was unable to get any #49 but i did get #4 and then got a little carried away as usaul and walked out with a box full of stuff . Im not sure how the water spots got there mike, i think they have been there since my mom got the vehicle. I will definately get a half and half if it does work out. I do have a question though. You said that the paint cleaners i was using dint have enought bite, are saying #4 has more of a bite than #85?
                  210-281-8151

Comment

Ok guys well i got a chance to try out the #4 on the water spots. I started with a wool pad for 2 passes then switched to a foam cutting pad which i think actually worked better. I almost gave up after 3 passes and no results and then i saw some daylight i then got a little more agressive with the pad and after about 10 passes maybe more this is what i got. I know its not perfect but with a few more passes i beleive it will be.

Thank you everyone for your help on this one. I hope this thread can help out some others that might run into this in the future because i tried everything else including steel wool and nothing worked until this. Thanks again everyone for your help. Meguiar's simply the best!
                    210-281-8151

Comment

WOW...That did a job on it! Looks like it worked well enough to pull out some of the water spots...Just keep at it. It looks a LOT better than it did before in the side-by-side.

Comment

That is a great improvement. That side by side is amazing the differance. Looks alot better.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Man, I think that is a phenomenal result!
                          ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

wow, I cant believe those spots were that bad. Im glad you finally put a dent in them, good job!
                            Forever New
                            Mobile Detailing
                            Jacksonville, FL

Comment

Maybe not perfect but great improvement!
                              Very nice job, glad it worked out for you.

Look at the window, look how good it looks now!
                              Nice work!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');